Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for cichlid ID

Discussion in 'African Rift Lake Cichlids' started by Sleet, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Sleet

Sleet Registered Member

Monday at 8:44 PM
    I'm looking for an ID on these cichlids. I suspect they're peacocks, but I just want to make sure. I got them last night from a couple who didn't know what they were. The wife made it sound like they were going to be flushed because the tank was sold. So she told me $15 and said they were south American cichlids. I realized they weren't American cichlids ,but African. I still agreed to the $15 she told me because I have an empty 55g and I don't want these fish to get flushed. But when I got to the meeting place, the guy said nothing less than $30. And also told me he would never flush fish....

Anyway.. .. It appears there's 2 males and one female. Which seems to be an issue, even though I was told by the guy that they all get along. The blue and yellow ones circle each other. When I had bumblebees and labs, they did that as a squabble/fight. I believe the blue one and the black one are a pair. One of the pics the wife sent me looks like the black one was holding. She's currently not right now, but the blue one chases and commenses circling behavior whenever the yellow one gets too close. Screenshot_20180901-082820.png Screenshot_20180901-083120.png Screenshot_20180901-083615.png

2. tanker

tanker Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!

Jessica
    Monday at 12:09 AM
    Jessica
    The do not look like Peacocks. I am pretty sure they are Mbunas (90% sure).

PS--Cichlids that get along now, may not get along later when mature.

3. Sleet

Sleet Registered Member

Monday at 8:44 PM
    There's issues between the blue and yellow ones. I was looking for an ID so I could get more of the right kind to form a large school.

The blue fish is the most dominate one. I saw him tail nip the yellow one this morning. IME with other types of cichlids, they need to be over stocked or have lots of rocks.