WTB Looking for old box filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
The nice thing with those old Dynaflo filters is you can pack them with anything you want. No such thing as a filter cartridge back then. But today's filters are so much more energy efficient than those things are.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The nice thing with those old Dynaflo filters is you can pack them with anything you want. No such thing as a filter cartridge back then..
True. When I first got into fish keeping, the Dyna Flo's used a cartridge by then, but I suppose you could have loaded them with floss, sponge, etc.. This would have been around 1980. I do recall seeing the older style ones in use at LFS though.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
True. When I first got into fish keeping, the Dyna Flo's used a cartridge by then, but I suppose you could have loaded them with floss, sponge, etc.. This would have been around 1980. I do recall seeing the older style ones in use at LFS though.
The Dyanflo 150 (The all green ones) originally used just packed media of your choice. When a bunch of other filters started to come out with cartridges, Metaframe make a cartridge that slid in at a 45 degree angle.

This was the filter:

And the cartridge went in like this:

These were the cartridges:

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
^ Exactly what I had. Couldn't remember if it was green or brown.

I had no idea what bio media meant in those days. Used to toss the cartridge when it got dirty and replace with new.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
I did the same thing. I had a Whisper 1 power filter. I used to change the cartridge about once every 2 weeks, and scrub the filter clean once a month. I'm sure I caused a lot of mini cycles back then.

I know back in the late 70s, when I was in grade school, I was told that you needed to completely take your aquarium apart once a year and scrub everything clean. This, of course, caused no end of havoc on the fish.

God bless my Dad for continuously driving to the store to constantly buy new fish when the old ones died.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep. I don't think a had the same setup for more than 6 months or so until I'd break that 10g tank down and set it up with new decor I saved up for.. Usually subsidized by good'ol mom an dad. A trip to a LFS was always a treat.

I didn't figure out until the mid 80's or so when I finally upgraded to a 20g long that my fish seemed to live longer if I bailed out and replaced a few gallons of water here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store