Looking for some ideas (CA cichlids)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lazonby

AC Members
Dec 6, 2002
TX
Visit site
Lot's of questions here. I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions you can give!

Here's what I have:

100g, heavily planted w/ rooted plants & some stems, 1 8" GT, 3 3" Green Severums, 1 6" pleco, 1 5" clown loach. They all happily coexist with each other, and don't bother the plants.

Here's what I want:

Less plants, maybe a couple of swords & some val, and one more fish I can grow out to become a big fish (about 10-12", no 2' monsters). I want to convert my tank to more of a cichlid tank with less plants...but I want a couple just for deco (the swords are large mother plants & well established). I don't really want to spend the time with the plants anymore, since I have other planted tanks. I just want less maintenance (simple water changes are no problem). I want to focus more on the fish, basically, I want to raise some awesome fish!

About the fish:

I want one more big cichlid, something I haven't kept before. My GT's pretty mild mannered, although he didn't like a jag I had and beat the crap out of him (he survived); this was suprising since he's peacefully coexisted with firemouths, convicts, JD's, and a few other cichlids. I was thinking about a midas, red devil, or maybe another jag (I like jags), but no super common fish like JD's or oscars. What I don't want is a super mean fish, or a major digger, but I know that's a tall request when dealing with cichlids. I could put up a divider, but I'd rather not if at all possible. What do you suggest fish-wise?

Now I know this is cramping the tank. I can get rid of the pleco. Do you suggest I keep the severums for dithers for now or should they go? Eventually, they will go anyway when they get too large, or when the other cichlid gets too large. The clown stays.

Filtration:

Currently, I'm using an Eheim 2028, an AC 500, and a Hagen 802 powerhead w/ qf attachment. Will this be adequate or should I get another filter? Cannister or HOB? I'll be doing large water changes at least once per week, more when time permits.

So what do you think?

750t

AC Members
May 24, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
I would rule out the RD/Midas , you probally wont have any plants left. My Rd destroys my tank, constantly digging and moving things around. The filter intakes are not even safe, But he is the coolest fish I have ever had.

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
I would say that all of the fish that you said you want to get will dig and destroy your plants. How about some different severums??? Also You should get some more clown loaches they like to be in groups of 3 and with that size tank I'd go at least 6 if not more.

Lazonby

AC Members
Dec 6, 2002
TX
Visit site
I went out and picked up 5 more clown loaches. I may get more, but we'll see how these guys do first. However, I did see an awesome midas (citrinelli) at the LFS. Oh man, he stood way out from the rest. He was the biggest in the tank at 3-4", and his coloration was solid red/orange/midas color. There were no black blotches on him like the others. I had to force myself out of the store with only my loaches.

I also removed the faster growing plants in the tank and cleaned it up really nice. I'm thinking about adding some rocks. Anyone have any pics/links to inspire me?

csm84

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
grand rapids, mi
I've Got A 75 Set Up With 2 Rd's In It, Once I Cure The Green Water I'll Take A Pic For You. I Like The Way It Looks, And Their Digging Habbits Don't Ruin The Auqascaping, I Think It Makes It Look "better"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store