Looking into breeding?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JEGuerra

AC Members
Jun 30, 2021
Camera Used
Nikon D5300
So, I am still pretty new to fishkeeping, only starting a 20 gallon 4 months ago and upgrading to a 75 gallon 2 months ago. I know I've still got tons to learn, but that being said I have been researching and getting really interested in starting to get into breeding some fish. First question I'd like to ask is, do you think I should breed in my current 75 gal tank, or buy a new breeder tank, like a 40 gallon or something like that? I'm considering a new breeder tank because my current 75 gallon is fully stocked, and I'm not sure if my current will breed a whole lot.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You want fish that are fairly easy to breed but also easy to sell or give away locally or keep & add to your display tank. Don't think you'll get rich or even pay for your expenses. But breeding is fun! The parents behaviors are interesting, fry grow out is rewarding but a lot of work.

What fish do you have now? I know you've said but remind us. Do not get convicts or BN plecos, they are very prolific & you'll have a hard time even giving the young fish away after the first few batches. The only way to stop them is to permanently separate males & females. Livebearers, meh.

In our early days we bred firemouths, blue acara & kribensis. Even leaving eggs & fry with parents in a community tank some fry would survive. No lfs within ~50 miles would take them after a while. They also don't want tiny fry.

Corydoras might be a good option...NoodleCats here breeds several species & planetcatfish has lots of info. She also has bred cherry barbs & others. I see you have both.

JEGuerra

AC Members
Jun 30, 2021
Camera Used
Nikon D5300
You want fish that are fairly easy to breed but also easy to sell or give away locally or keep & add to your display tank. Don't think you'll get rich or even pay for your expenses. But breeding is fun! The parents behaviors are interesting, fry grow out is rewarding but a lot of work.

What fish do you have now? I know you've said but remind us. Do not get convicts or BN plecos, they are very prolific & you'll have a hard time even giving the young fish away after the first few batches. The only way to stop them is to permanently separate males & females. Livebearers, meh.

In our early days we bred firemouths, blue acara & kribensis. Even leaving eggs & fry with parents in a community tank some fry would survive. No lfs within ~50 miles would take them after a while. They also don't want tiny fry.

Corydoras might be a good option...NoodleCats here breeds several species & planetcatfish has lots of info. She also has bred cherry barbs & others. I see you have both.
Right, I'm only 17 and I work a part time job, I know breeding isn't gonna be anything more than just delving deeper into the hobby and makin a little side cash. Right now in my tank I have 5 cherry barbs, 10 zebra danio, 10 cory cats, 2 female bn pleco, 1 clown pleco, 3 pearl gourami, 4 serpae tetra. If my cherry barbs breed then I'll pursue that, but I was gonna get another tank to do some more selective and focused breeding

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you want to make cash on the side, I would suggest shrimp and not fish.

IME they are far easier to sell, especially if you will ship. And they do not take much space at all .

Reactions: JEGuerra

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Shrimp are a great idea! Neocaridina are easy. Pick just 1 color or they'll lose the pretty colors eventually returning to their boring brown natural looks. If you go with blue or yellow they cost more but then you can sell for more than cherry. Green seem harder to see well with plants. Keep in mind adult females are the most colorful but you need some less colorful males too ;)

Shrimp are surprisingly interesting to watch & you can have a LOT in a small tank. No worries about shrimplet feeding either unlike fish fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store