Looks likes start of Dropsy for betta hoping Melafix will help see pics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Have had this betta approx 2 weeks and am really upset. I have had some bad luck the last few months with bettas had some heater accidents and just got this guy and from the moment I got him he has been acting weird. Very timid not swimming around alot hiding in his cave not eating.

Last night he came out and I freaked out :eek3: his scales look like they are starting to pinecone and his belly is bloated and both his eyes are cloudy. I am thinking this sucks I bought a sick betta. I think he may have the start of dropsy but am going to try treating with melafix.

Last night I dosed with Maracyn figured I might try that and added some aquarium salt but today LFS told me melafix is better. So I am gonna give it a try. Gonna do a large water change which his tank is due for anyway and then add the melafix and aquarium salt. Crossing my fingers wish me luck. Here are some pics of the betta.

Casper betta 002.jpg Casper betta 003.jpg

sillypony

Fish+College=BROKE
Mar 27, 2008
WNY

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
I am so confused now...I have Maracyn in the house should I continue using that and aquarium salt. I thought Melafix was gentle enough to use for most fish since it has aloe in it. I certainly don't want to hurt my betta he is sick enough already I want to try to make him better not worse. I have read about others using melafix without a problem I really need help now am really unsure what to do!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I think there's something called Bettafix out there because of the issues with bettas and Melafix. Even the "gentlest" of meds can hurt some things is the moral of the story.

BTW, do not believe that Melafix has aloe in it, rather the extract of Melaleuca.

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
maracyn-two is the best for dropsy, i think. i wouldn't use anything else. however, bettas also tend to bloats like that if they constupate from dry food. so, i would treat with maracyn-two and go for feeding peas and posting for couple of days

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Sad to say that my betta just died a few minutes ago. I am so upset he was so beautiful but I think he must have been sick for a while because I have only had him for 2 weeks and have done weekly water changes to keep his tank clean. I noticed from the moment I bought him and put him in the tank that his behavior was odd. He was very timid and hid alot especially in his cave and he was not eating then last night seeing the cloudy eyes and bloat he must have had a bacterial infection for a while and after I bought him it just progressed. It definitely was internal because he had no external disease whatsoever. Thanks for the help I wish I could have done more for him. RIP Casper :(.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I'm so sorry for your loss.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store