lost a couple corys- a couple questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mainer

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
Hey guys, over the past 4 days i have lost 2 of my peppered corys for reasons unknown to me. When the first one died i wasnt overly suprised because ever since i got them that one always looked the weakest and never hung out with the other two. But today i came home from work and found another one dead. Last night i noticed he wasnt swimming much but when i touched him with a stick he swam away but i could tell he wasnt doing well. Both of these fish have been fine up till now, i try to make sure they get plenty of food and i have a little tara cotta house for them too. Im just plain lost I checked my water tonight and it read ph-7, ammo-0, rite-0, rate-10ppm. I checked them on sunday after the other fish died and the readings were the same. Should i just chaulk this up to unhealthy fish or what? The last one looks like he has grown some since i got them a couple months ago and looks healthy. Should i go out and get two more corys to make this guy feel better, not so lonely or what? Im also in the middle of an annoying bacterial bloom that just wont seem to go away. My tank is a 10 gal with a AC 30 filter. I have all the bio max balls that came with it in there along with 2 sponges. Any ideas for either issue would definately be appreciated!! Nice to see this site is up and running again also!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Well I would deal with the bacterial bloom prior to adding any new fish to the tank. I doubt that would kill a healthy fish, but there is always the chance that some fish are unhealthy to begin with.

What are you feeding them? I know some people add only flake food and their cories can do well, but I have been adding sinking tablets since I started keeping cories and they love them. I use a variety of sinking food, shrimp pellets, algae disks and some complete tabs. A different kind each day.

mainer

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
yea i use the algae wafers i had them left over from my pleco. They seem to love them everything is always eaten in the morning. Is it possible i wasnt feeding enough? I was putting in about 1.5 wafers per night for 3 small corys.

momar

Born too late
Jan 6, 2006
UK
What temp. is the tank? peppered corys generally like it quite cool (68-70F). Having said that they are hardy and can take quite a wide range.

mainer

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
i didnt realize that i currently have my tank at 78 maybe that is affecting the little guys. I heard these fish were very hardy thats why i bought them considering im still pretty new to this whole fish world. Would my head and tail light tetras be okay with the lower temp>?

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
While cooler temps are preffered, they seem to do fine in warmer tanks. If they need a little extra O2 they can always gulp air at the top. (this is common for cories to do).

1.5 of a waffer is more than enough. I used 1 waffer for three cories and they are still doing fine 3 years later, and have even bred (so now there are 7 cories). Even now on odd days they get 1 waffer for all of them, and a few shrimp pellets on the other days. Fish don't have to eat too much to survive.

It looks like you could have just had some weak fish, it does happen. I would watch your other fish over the next while while dealing with the bloom and if things don't get worse then look to adding a couple of new cories.

momar

Born too late
Jan 6, 2006
UK
They should be hardy enough to tolerate 78. If you did lower the temp, head and tail lights are fine at 72-75 (but pref. not much lower)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store