Low cost alternative sump pump & return hose

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I recently bought a NIB overflow box / skimmer / pump combo on Ebay for like $58, which means you have to buy your own hoses. After searching the reel-hose section at Lowes for 5/8" clear non-collapsible pump hose at $1.35 a foot, a neuron fired in my head that garden hose also comes in 1/2" and 5/8" ID at allot better price. I was able to buy the best quality contractor grade non-collapsible supple black garden hose at $0.38 a foot, the same garden hose I have been using to fill my tanks for 2 years without ill affects (not being official Aqua-hose it wont poison your fish). So for 1/3 the price of "5/8 Aqua pump hose" I own enough 5/8" pump hose to supply, augment, or repair any of my sumps, python or waterchange kit for a long long time. No need to post a photo, everyone knows what a giant reel of 5/8" quality black garden hose looks like

Now for the real deal, I was looking in the plumbing section for 3/4" screw hose clamps for $150 a pair becasue in the garden section they want $3.50 a pair, when I happen to look at the bottom shelf and find 24 foot packaged reels of universal sump pump accordion-flex hose for de-watering for only $10 a package with exactly the same inside-outside diameter as Aqua sump drain hose at only $0.41 a foot compared to $3.30 a foot for the stuff you buy on Ebay shipped. The single 24 foot section has 4 clamp points for dividing the hose into 4 six foot sections where you can still clamp your overflow/sump PVC pipe. The package even comes with clamps and adapter fittings if you want to use threaded pipe. If that's not enough its all black so now I have matching black pump and drain hose, what a deal for $10. Below the photo as most haven't seen this I'm sure.

I know, I know... I really hit this one out of the park with this find, please no applauds:rolleyes:

Last edited:

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
to get even cheaper i cut off the plastic flex hoses on up right carpet vacums that no longer work, most are 1inch in diamater and fit 1 inch overflow boxes perfect. i just rinse and bleach the hoses and they are like new. most vacums cleaner hoses are about 3 to 4 ft long so its more than long enough for my sump use. my friends keep me supplied with lots of vacum cleaner hoses :)

beware some expensive vacums use wire in the coiled hose those i dont use most cheaper vacums just use plain ol flex hose that is expensive at the store.

Last edited:

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Wow, old vacuum cleaner hoses....I was kind of left speechless when I read that last night. Considering that this stuff I found works out to only $2.50 for each overflow-box, I think Ill bow out to the recycling of old vac hoses lol.
Actually I think its a pretty cleaver idea if one has the resources to get them free like you and so many tanks to support, over 20.

You know one thing I like about this stuff is that its stiff enough (much firmer then normal stuff) that I may try and use it without a 1" PVC pipe adapter which narrows the flow down considerably, and use this 1 3/8" ID sump-hose strait from the overflow-box to the sump. If it works drain volume flow capacity would increase by 35% making a ball-gate-valve to restrict a strong pump like my Rio 2100 unnecessary or the use of duel drain hoses not necessary.

You know I got my new Lee's specimen containers delivered (1 large & 1 medium) to make that DIY skimmer and overflow-box. I couldn't believe how large and strong they are and for only $20 shipped, I think Im going to enjoy making them to these plans I found and save $40. I always felt that the best way to understand how something truly works from the inside-out is to build one. Ill post my results when I finish it .
http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-overflow/70.asp

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Yeah with this economy allot of us have had to pull the home-economic plane out of a steep nose dive. I for one am trying to get completely debt free. I haven't used a credit card now in 2 years and don't ever plan to again. Its not money that's the root of all evil, but rather the LOVE of money. To me money is just a tool and requires being squeezed until the eagle screams and the eyes-pop lol.

The irony is that after replacing the temporary 1/2" ID hose from the sump pump with 5/8" hose, the sump GPH increased so much I had to place a ball-valve on the end of the line to slow it down as the single 1" drain could not keep up. I plan to build an experimental overflow/skimmer box using specimen containers and install a standard 1-3/8" drain hose without the 1" PVC adapter restriction. Im believe that the extra 3/8" increase in size will make all the difference.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
thats why i have been snapping up most of the dual overflow boxes on ebay the last few months i prefer the dual over the single. 2 1inch drains is the way to go on larger tanks. cant beat getting them for 25.00 and in perfect condition.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
very true i dont use end panel set ups and my sumps are larger than yours.i have switched my sumps over to mostly 55G so space isnt a issue for me. but thats what great about this hobby do it as you want and enjoy it along the way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store