Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Low cost alternative sump pump & return hose

Discussion in 'Freshwater Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by CWO4GUNNER, Sep 24, 2010.

1. CWO4GUNNER

CWO4GUNNER USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps

Nov 14, 2014
    I recently bought a NIB overflow box / skimmer / pump combo on Ebay for like $58, which means you have to buy your own hoses. After searching the reel-hose section at Lowes for 5/8" clear non-collapsible pump hose at $1.35 a foot, a neuron fired in my head that garden hose also comes in 1/2" and 5/8" ID at allot better price. I was able to buy the best quality contractor grade non-collapsible supple black garden hose at $0.38 a foot, the same garden hose I have been using to fill my tanks for 2 years without ill affects (not being official Aqua-hose it wont poison your fish). So for 1/3 the price of "5/8 Aqua pump hose" I own enough 5/8" pump hose to supply, augment, or repair any of my sumps, python or waterchange kit for a long long time. No need to post a photo, everyone knows what a giant reel of 5/8" quality black garden hose looks like

Now for the real deal, I was looking in the plumbing section for 3/4" screw hose clamps for $150 a pair becasue in the garden section they want $3.50 a pair, when I happen to look at the bottom shelf and find 24 foot packaged reels of universal sump pump accordion-flex hose for de-watering for only $10 a package with exactly the same inside-outside diameter as Aqua sump drain hose at only $0.41 a foot compared to $3.30 a foot for the stuff you buy on Ebay shipped. The single 24 foot section has 4 clamp points for dividing the hose into 4 six foot sections where you can still clamp your overflow/sump PVC pipe. The package even comes with clamps and adapter fittings if you want to use threaded pipe. If that's not enough its all black so now I have matching black pump and drain hose, what a deal for $10. Below the photo as most haven't seen this I'm sure.
    [​IMG]
    I know, I know... I really hit this one out of the park with this find, please no applauds:rolleyes:

#1 CWO4GUNNER, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  2. The Zigman

The Zigman Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2017
    Ha ha, I have been using one of those on my shop vac for a looooong time!

Glad to see it has other uses as well!

3. RodInCALIFORNIA

RodInCALIFORNIA EBAY ADDICT !

ROD
    Nov 20, 2015
    ROD
    to get even cheaper i cut off the plastic flex hoses on up right carpet vacums that no longer work, most are 1inch in diamater and fit 1 inch overflow boxes perfect. i just rinse and bleach the hoses and they are like new. most vacums cleaner hoses are about 3 to 4 ft long so its more than long enough for my sump use. my friends keep me supplied with lots of vacum cleaner hoses :)

beware some expensive vacums use wire in the coiled hose those i dont use most cheaper vacums just use plain ol flex hose that is expensive at the store.

#3 RodInCALIFORNIA, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  4. CWO4GUNNER

Nov 14, 2014
    Wow, old vacuum cleaner hoses....I was kind of left speechless when I read that last night. Considering that this stuff I found works out to only $2.50 for each overflow-box, I think Ill bow out to the recycling of old vac hoses lol.
    Actually I think its a pretty cleaver idea if one has the resources to get them free like you and so many tanks to support, over 20.

You know one thing I like about this stuff is that its stiff enough (much firmer then normal stuff) that I may try and use it without a 1" PVC pipe adapter which narrows the flow down considerably, and use this 1 3/8" ID sump-hose strait from the overflow-box to the sump. If it works drain volume flow capacity would increase by 35% making a ball-gate-valve to restrict a strong pump like my Rio 2100 unnecessary or the use of duel drain hoses not necessary.

You know I got my new Lee's specimen containers delivered (1 large & 1 medium) to make that DIY skimmer and overflow-box. I couldn't believe how large and strong they are and for only $20 shipped, I think Im going to enjoy making them to these plans I found and save $40. I always felt that the best way to understand how something truly works from the inside-out is to build one. Ill post my results when I finish it .
    http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-overflow/70.asp

5. WeedCali

WeedCali Certified Dubhead

Adam
    Oct 27, 2015
    Adam
    looks like a great deal!

jeez Gunner, your always finding bargains :p

6. CWO4GUNNER

Nov 14, 2014
    Yeah with this economy allot of us have had to pull the home-economic plane out of a steep nose dive. I for one am trying to get completely debt free. I haven't used a credit card now in 2 years and don't ever plan to again. Its not money that's the root of all evil, but rather the LOVE of money. To me money is just a tool and requires being squeezed until the eagle screams and the eyes-pop lol.

The irony is that after replacing the temporary 1/2" ID hose from the sump pump with 5/8" hose, the sump GPH increased so much I had to place a ball-valve on the end of the line to slow it down as the single 1" drain could not keep up. I plan to build an experimental overflow/skimmer box using specimen containers and install a standard 1-3/8" drain hose without the 1" PVC adapter restriction. Im believe that the extra 3/8" increase in size will make all the difference.

7. RodInCALIFORNIA

ROD
    Nov 20, 2015
    ROD
    thats why i have been snapping up most of the dual overflow boxes on ebay the last few months i prefer the dual over the single. 2 1inch drains is the way to go on larger tanks. cant beat getting them for 25.00 and in perfect condition.

8. CWO4GUNNER

Nov 14, 2014
    Two U-tubes, two drain hoses and two socks set ups use up allot of extra space for an end panel set up like mine. I intend to prove that its unnecessary and one of each will suffice with only a slight modification.:woot:Boo-hahaha, BOOO-Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!:rofl:

9. RodInCALIFORNIA

ROD
    Nov 20, 2015
    ROD
    very true i dont use end panel set ups and my sumps are larger than yours.i have switched my sumps over to mostly 55G so space isnt a issue for me. but thats what great about this hobby do it as you want and enjoy it along the way.

10. albertbill21

albertbill21 Registered Member

Feb 12, 2018
    thanks for your guide.
    stay blessed