Low pH and Alkalinity solutions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
You could change the substrate for something like controsoil which constantly buffers kh and dgh and is good for plants

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
I’m sorry if I’m flooding this but cories need sand substrate too, what you do is a layer of soil then a cap of sand and it works well

screech

AC Members
Mar 23, 2011
Real Name
Dan
Noah, So you mean removing the UGF and then changing substrate? You mentioned a layer of sand over the substrate. I assume you never vacuum substrate? Why do cories need sand?
My plan for now is to do weekly, 30% water changes, add more crushed coral, maybe a limestone rock and wait. If nothing changes in a couple months, I'll probably try adding Seachems Equilibrium. If that doesn't work out, I will either live with the set up I have or remove the UGF and change the substrate. After 20 years a new look would be nice. Wouldn't mind adding some rooted plants too but I don't want to get to the point that have to add c02. I'm a low maintenance guy.

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
Cories need sand because gravel hurts their barbels
What you do is get a new filter not ug they are obsolete, run the new filter with old filter for 6 weeks
Remove the gravel, add some kind of nutrient rich substrate I’d do .5-1 inch with a 1-2 inch cap of play sand. Also most rooting plants are low maintenance and co2 can be fairly easy if you diy it. Don’t remove the ugf until the new filter is cycled, I don’t vacuum my substrates often because I have shrimp and cories and I use the mulm to help fertilize plants. Imo you can add leaf litter too just make sure it’s safe it looks pretty nice and it releases beneficial chemicals in the water. Imo you would have an AMAZING tank if you did a pair of apisto and cardinals because both are very hard to keep in high ph hard water but when you have acid water it’s perfect!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Like said several times in this thread, all you have to do is change more water. There's no magic item you can drop into the tank that's going to shift your pH where you want it to go and keep it there without constant tinkering and the risk for big shifts.

For the sake of the fish in the tank, you'll probably NOT want to do a large water change all at once. You'll have to spread it out so the tank's pH slowly drifts towards your tap pH.

screech

AC Members
Mar 23, 2011
Real Name
Dan
Freshy fish, please give me an example of spreading out my water changes. 15% daily? 15% every other day? Please excuse my ignorance. I'd never heard of "Old Tank Syndrome " until I started this thread.
Thanks,
Dan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store