Lowering Nitrite!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ste36

AC Members
May 9, 2004
blackpool, england
Visit site
Hey,

I tested my tank for nitrite and it tested positive (alot of nitrite in there)

What is the best way to reduce this to 0 i have a few great vallis plants and 2 ghost carp.

thanks

Ste

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
The tank is finished cycling when you have zero Ammonia and zero Nitrite... with 20-30ppm of nitrate. That level will vary greatly depending on your circumstances, but the point is to get zero ammonia and nitrite. You DO want nitrates as this means your tank water chemisty is working properly. ;)

You are at the "normal" stage of the game right now. Its been a little over a month, this isn't anything out of the ordinary to be wrapping up the cycling process after 4 weeks or so. You know that the cycling process is near complete when you see nitrites. :)

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Make sure to keep changing the water though as those nitrites will really hurt the fish gills. If they can't stay down for some reason I have heard that adding some salt to the water will help the gills block out the nitrites. Something like 1 tbsp per 5 gallons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store