"lunar" lighting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
I slipped a light sensitive 7w night light under the hood. It comes on automatically when I turn off the lights, and provides just enough light so i can peek at the fish and don't stub my toe on the way to the bathroom. :p

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
RanchuRick, where did you buy/acquire the rope light from? That seems to be the easiest way to go.

mooman, the difference between girlfriend and wife is that you are in trouble and are sleeping on the couch!!! She KNOWS what that stuff is for! :D

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
mooman said:
I slipped a light sensitive 7w night light under the hood. It comes on automatically when I turn off the lights, and provides just enough light so i can peek at the fish and don't stub my toe on the way to the bathroom. :p
Junkie :p

SCU33ZE

Toilet Power
Mar 23, 2005
South Miami
Will blue computer modding EL wire work? it seems more compact and less consuming

RanchuRick

Go Flames Go
Feb 19, 2005
I got my rope light from Zellers - a Canadian version of Walmart. It should be available from Home Depot as well. I'd admit that the length makes it rather tedious. So get the shortest length you can. Home Depot should also have DIY supplies for rope light - cut to length light, connector, terminator, adapter, etc., but I'd would think it would come out much more expensive than a packaged light.

Computer modding light should work but I'd consider it too bright. Not sure whether it runs on AC or DC. You might need some kind of adapter as well.

In real life my DIY light is a little brighter than what the photo is showing. It is a still a pretty dark, beautiful mid-night blue.

sivic

rum's my friend
Aug 6, 2004
Cincinnati Ohio
sivic.has-my.info
Check this page out http://thelebos.com/

I just ordered my parts for that site and built it today in a couple hours. Its awesome to finally see my ropefish when all the lights are out. Now i want to add a couple more led's to fill in the dark spots of the tank. But A+ on service and shipping from the owner of the site. Defintely recommend to others.

hawkeye01

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
How do you like that setup? How big is your tank and how many LEDs did you use? I have a 75g and Im wondering if the 3 LEDs are going to be too little light. I really like there Lunar Light set because of how small it is and the fact that it has a dimmer.

sivic

rum's my friend
Aug 6, 2004
Cincinnati Ohio
sivic.has-my.info
hawkeye01 said:
How do you like that setup? How big is your tank and how many LEDs did you use? I have a 75g and Im wondering if the 3 LEDs are going to be too little light. I really like there Lunar Light set because of how small it is and the fact that it has a dimmer.
I ordered the parts and soldered them myself. My tank is a 55gallon and i used 4 leds and i really need to add more. Im unaware if your 75g is longer or just taller than mine but i would highly recommend more led's if you want to light your tank up. Best thing about building it myself is i can add more with ease, versus if you buy the premade ones. But on that site it has this picture,

HTH.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store