Macro Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StereoKills

Hey intern, get me a Campari.
Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
I've seriously been considering keeping/breeding a few types of macro shrimp next year, and I just wanted to here what everyone thought of macros. Do you have any? Have you considered keeping them? What types?

I've been thinking of Red Claw Macros and African Filter Shrimp.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I don't have any but had the same idea as you until I started doing some research and realized there has been very little success breeding them in the home aquarium. Alot of the macro species are thought to need backish/salt set-ups in order to have viable young. There are a couple of articles out there on different people's attempts but not much on successful breeding. Good luck, it sounds like a really interesting thing to do.

RoseFishWatcher

AC Members
Oct 31, 2006
Colorado
I have asian filter shrimp (aka bamboos, + a million other names). I adore them. I'd love some africans, but they're expensive and hard to come by, so it'll probably be a while before I get some (if I do).

I don't think I can decide if I like other macros until I see them in person. Pics on the 'net aren't quite enough to capture my heart.

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
I have asian filter shrimp (aka bamboos, + a million other names). I adore them. I'd love some africans, but they're expensive and hard to come by, so it'll probably be a while before I get some (if I do).

I don't think I can decide if I like other macros until I see them in person. Pics on the 'net aren't quite enough to capture my heart.
I have one of those guys too.. had him for about a year now. He was the last one the petsmart I worked at was going to carry... they put them on clearance and still no one bought them. I got mine for $3. :-D

Danimal62

AC Members
Dec 24, 2007
Red Claw Macros are not that difficult to breed. They do get on the large side, so you cant really keep them with any fish (the big red claws are great for catching fish). The males of this species get very large dark red claws and can be quite striking in appearance. If you are going to try a macro, this is a fun one.

While many Macrobrachium species go threw a larval stage, the Red Claw (Macrobrachium sp.) is not one of them. Their young are miniature versions of their parents.

The African Filter Shrimp is a great shrimp for a LARGE WELL ESTABLISHED aquarium. They filter all their food out of the water column so there would have to be some water current. When starving they will search for food on the substrate, but that stresses them out, and with all animals, stress is bad.

Filter shrimp are not easy to breed at all, and I have only read on of one successful attempt and that was with the Bamboo Shrimp (Atyopsis moluccensis) and the survival rate was VERY low.

Hope that helps.

pacalan

AC Members
May 11, 2006
midwest
The african filter feeders are fascinating creatures. I have two of them in my tank. Definitely a unique and interesting shrimp to observe, and I would recommend them. They have gone into a mating dry spell, so I haven't had a chance to attempt raising the young.

StereoKills

Hey intern, get me a Campari.
Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
anyone have any luck successfuly breeding the bamboo or vampire shrimp? i would get them if i could breed them.
See quote.
Filter shrimp are not easy to breed at all, and I have only read on of one successful attempt and that was with the Bamboo Shrimp (Atyopsis moluccensis) and the survival rate was VERY low.

Red Claw Macros are not that difficult to breed. They do get on the large side, so you cant really keep them with any fish (the big red claws are great for catching fish). The males of this species get very large dark red claws and can be quite striking in appearance. If you are going to try a macro, this is a fun one.

While many Macrobrachium species go threw a larval stage, the Red Claw (Macrobrachium sp.) is not one of them. Their young are miniature versions of their parents.

This was one of my main reasons for picking this species. Plus they look amazing. Pixl8r breeds these and I will probably be getting some from him in the new year.

pacalan

AC Members
May 11, 2006
midwest
I actually had some minor luck in breeding the bamboo. The batch wasn't a complete success, but some experimentation proved fruitful, and I can't wait to try it on an entire batch. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to catch the female bamboo with eggs lately.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store