Magnum filters- your take on them!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
I know I could look find this out for myseld by a little E window shopping, but I thought this would be a good place for it.
What is the difference between the magnum 350, and the hot magnum. are there other models?
thanks
BTW, I like this thread, good idea,thanks.
should it be moved to the equipment/diy forum?
The 350 is a larger canister that has water lines so it can go under the tank and 350 GPH,,,,HOT Mag is 250 GPH slightly smaller canister and hangs on the tank.......:)

galen

AC Members
Jan 26, 2007
NY
I know I could look find this out for myseld by a little E window shopping, but I thought this would be a good place for it.
What is the difference between the magnum 350, and the hot magnum. are there other models?
thanks
BTW, I like this thread, good idea,thanks.
should it be moved to the equipment/diy forum?
thanks! i thought that we could use a new section, so i thought i would pioneer this sort of thread for reference. depending on how it goes, ill start others on other major brands.

the mag 350 pumps 350 gph and hot mag pumps 250. no other models of THOSE. however, marineland recently unveiled their new canisters, the c-160 series. they look really cool.

http://www.petsolutions.com/Marineland-Multi-Stage-Canister-Filters+I47450490+C20.aspx

divingne1

AC Members
Jun 15, 2007
Canton, GA
Buckdog....I love your avatar. I think snow leapards are stunning animals. My favorite in the cat family.

Could you have just told your manager you destroyed it and stored it in your car? Oh wait...that would be stealing wouldn't it? darn!!!

Last edited:

Cracked Tank

AC Members
Jun 26, 2007
Ok I have had a Magnum Hot for 7 Years. It can be used to do a super clean vacuum with the attached wand. It is a good water polisher when you need it. Now I had used this fro a main filter for many years on a 55 with a Hang on Back Filer a really old but large Hagan (Had to be one of the first HOB filters.) I had one 10-inch cichlid in the tank and that filter lasted about one week before it was down to about 25%. Now keep in mind this was with a HOB filter. I would not buy the Magnum Hot unless you are looking for a water polisher or you are going to use it as a main filter on a 30 or less. In addition you will not like having to hoist the filter and attached hoses out of the tank to clean that puppy. I would think that the 350, which allow you to keep the hoses in place and just detach the filter, would be a pretty good set up. Plus that can act as a polisher as well.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I use my Magnum as a supplemental filter on my 75g which also has an AC 110 and Emperor 400. I set it up mostly as a bio-filter and the foam sleeve is rinsed 1-2 times a month. I don't run carbon in the carbon chamber, instead I packed it full of this stuff. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4321&N=2004+113808
It's designed as a mechanical media but does provide plenty of surface area for bacteria to colonize so I use it as a bio-media and it's very easy to rinse/clean.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store