MAJOR PROBLEM WITH CATCHING 7" LOACH!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Goldie Lox

AC Members
Apr 27, 2007
I have a golden dojo loach that started out at 3" and is now 7". He's been a fine tank mate up until the time my pair of albino bristlenose plecos bred. First batch 30ish fry - about 10 have survived. Now the male pleco is in his hiding spot waiting for the next batch of fry to swim out and be lapped up by Mr. Dojo. About 5 months ago I tried to catch him when he was a little shorter. I spent 25 minutes with two nets, patient at first, then started to tear up my plants. I then gave up. I have GOT to get him out tomorrow before my new batch emerges. I have buyers waiting. What would YOU do to catch this Lambourgini of loaches? Any of you - and there must be thousands - that have a special talent for catching speed demons (without removing most of the plants!) Thank you for a speedy reply with great ideas! :help:

charlie4486

Charlie Murphy!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
are you planning on selling any of the bristlenose? i would definitely be interested.

FishBliss

Detroit Airport - so COOL!
Oct 1, 2006
Peterborough, NH
If you can't catch him can you put a partition between his lair and the hatchery, thereby keeping them separate?

Or, can you reduce the size of his get-away space by putting a partition in half the tank -- so you only have to chase him around in that smaller area?

I've never tried to catch a loach, but these are the ideas that come to mind.

I caught a more tame fish by submerging a glass flower vase and putting blood worms in it. I waited. Fishy went in to snack and I simply covered the top of the vase with the net and lifted out the vase.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
The easier way to catch a loach is always lower the water level by half or more than half assuming your plants were already anchored firmly to the substrate. This will lessen his chances of escaping. I don't usually have a problem catching my loaches since I handfeed them.:lipssealedsmilie:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I usually lower the water level and use a pice of egg crate divider to try to divide off the the tank. I may use several so I can continue to decrease the free area available to them.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
My gold dojo is pretty blind. I guess the poor things didn't run from him.

RoseFishWatcher

AC Members
Oct 31, 2006
Colorado
IME, the best way to net fast fish is to move SLOW. I've never tried to catch a loach, but have netted other fast critters this way. I just slowly herd them into a corner. Easier if decor can be removed, but doable either way, I think.

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
Bigger net and lowering water. If your tank is small enough you can go to Petsmart and purchase a tank divider and block him into a corner.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store