Male or Female Jack Dempsey?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
I am no sexpert
Made me laugh.

Every time I see a post like this all I can hear in my head is Stephen Tyler singing "Dude looks like a
Lady" :D

To add my 2 cents. Gill plates make me think male.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
It looks male to me.

Male Jack Dempseys grow long, pointed dorsal and anal fins that have a red color lining the edges. They may have a round black spot in the center of their body and toward their tail. Males are also larger than females and will develop a hump on the cranium after they are a few years old. Females generally exhibit smaller fins than the male and lack the black spots characteristic to the male. Gender determination of a young Jack Dempsey may be more difficult as its characteristic markings have not yet developed.

Read more: Difference Between a Female & Male Jack Dempsey | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6395235_difference-female-male-jack-dempsey.html#ixzz1tVLyXPmP

leeb62

Registered Member
Mar 14, 2012
Look female base on the coloring on the gill plate. Males tend to not have coloring on the gill plate. Youtube has alot of good video showing males and females and you can see the big difference on their gill plate.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
Look female base on the coloring on the gill plate. Males tend to not have coloring on the gill plate. Youtube has alot of good video showing males and females and you can see the big difference on their gill plate.

That's actually not quite true. The females get connected dots on their gill plates, making a pattern of bars, males still get coloring, its a continuation of the dots as on their body

this is my boy
IMG_20120407_130906.jpg

here is a great picture of a pair, note the difference. BOTH have color on their gill plates.
IMGP2139.jpg

IMG_20120407_130906.jpg IMGP2139.jpg

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Gorgeous JD's Fozzy. I'm glad you showed that about the gill plates. I thought maybe my brain had confused it with another species. I always thought "Connected dots=female" on them. Of course, there is always the odd fish that can prove that wrong.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
exactly; But, while each fish is a little different (especially with inbreeding becoming more prevalent, as always) but its a pretty good rule to go by. That combined with observing their finnage and behavior can normally give you 90ish% certainty. To be positive pretty much need to vent them. Or breed them. I vented my guy when I pulled him from the tank at the LFS when I bought him just to be sure. He's very much a boy. thanks by the way, he's quite the little fella, I love him dearly, sooooo much personality in that fish. I've been meaning to do another update on him and his tank...he's probably the most fun I've had keeping an individual fish yet.

imamazeing

AC Members
Apr 28, 2012
canada
judgeing by the fin on its back and belly how its long at the end it sure look like a male its amazeing btw

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
I did a little more research, and males do not have spangles, for a lack of a better term, on the top of their head. Females have spangles all the way up. So, I believe I was correct when I said male.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store