Mangrove Propagule Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

walkers

Registered Member
Dec 12, 2022
A little over a month and a half ago I bought 20 red mangrove propagules off of ebay. I’m keeping the mangroves in freshwater, however I believe brackish aquarists will carry more knowledge about this than freshwater ones.

Anyways, I planted the mangroves in a thick layer of pool filter sand inside of a rubbermaid bin I had lying around. I know they’re slow growers compared to other plants, but I haven’t noticed almost any growth at all in this first month and a half. Is this normal? Am I just being impatient while they’re rooting or something? Just wanna know if I’m doing anything wrong.3FA90CE0-6A5C-4D46-9437-CB50AC4F1F2B.jpeg
(don’t mind the other stuff, I have cherry shrimp in there as well)

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
They will do better if they are not fully submerged to the top. Water to above the 'root area' is enough (I realize they don't qwuite have roots yet, they are just pods). In nature, they colonize intertidal areas, where they are fully exposed part of the time with the bottom part of the pod anchored in the mud. That tidal cycle is hard to simulate in 'captivity', but lowering the water will prevent them from rotting and will allow photosynthesis. Little photosynthesis will occur when they are submerged; after all, they are primarily terrestrial plants that do well in marginal areas, not the opposite. Good luck!

duane stuermer

AC Members
May 21, 2015
I have planted both red and black mangroves in my tanks.
I collect the pods from the beach and plant them in @ surface level cuts of bamboo filled with sand.
IMG_4253.jpegIMG_4246.jpeg
IMG_5347.jpeg
They seem to do best in at least a half day of full sun.
A little over a year later, below, is how they've turned out so far.
IMG_0257.jpegIMG_6909.jpeg
IMG_0189.jpeg

IMG_4246.jpeg

IMG_4344.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store