Maracyn 2 side affects, help!!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishKeeper-16

1977 Mustang Cobra
Sep 28, 2004
Wheelersburg Ohio, USA
I am treating my tank with Mardel Copper Safe for velvet and Maricyn 2 for secondary infections and my water is very cloudy and I know that is normal but my fish are always pooping a and one has a string of poop about 3 inches long!!! and it is white and is that okay and they seem healthy and they show no signs of stress and the company said that you can use copper safe and maricyn 2 togather and it says that on the box.

pl*co

Feeds low on the food chain
Jul 18, 2004
Michigan
Fishkeeper, I have not had the same experience you are having. I am in the process of treating a tank with Coppersafe for a case of Anchor Worms. I am not using Maracyn 2 to treat secondary infections (no need... so far). My tank is not cloudy, but I do not know what else may be different between my tank and yours, other than the Maracyn 2. I have not known that to cause cloudiness. Do you have some water readings we can look at? As for the white stringy stuff, I will take a look around for info and get back to you. I believe it is related to an internal infection or parasites (can't recall which), but don't quote me. I read something about here in the forum just recently too. In the meantime, other folks might jump in that have information readily at hand.

pl*co

Jul 18, 2004
Michigan
updated since original posting...

Fishkeeper, read the thread by Biogirl361 in the link below. It came up in a search I did on this site for clear stringy. I also did a search for white stringy. In the thread Biorgirl explains what the stuff is and why it's happening. Basically, it is the stomach's attempt at sloughing off the parasites. She also states she just waited things out and tried different foods, since the fish was not eating, to give the treatment and the fish time to deal with the problem. By the way, note that on the package of Coppersafe, it says to keep the stuff in the water for 1 month and treat fresh water for changes with Coppersafe as well, to replace what you removed.

As for cloudy water... I had originally gone the route in this post of inquiring about your readings and asking for a pic of the tank. However, I just finished reading the flyer that comes with the Mardel products and it mentions that Maracyn 2 may cause some cloudiness. The flyer recommends 25% water change once the treatment is complete, followed by using fresh activated carbon (in a media bag or in as part of your filter element) to clear up remaining cloudiness.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34382&highlight=clear+stringy

Last edited:

pl*co

Jul 18, 2004
Michigan
One final note

Sometimes I get to fussing with my tanks over a period of days. This time, it happened to be the tank I am treating with Coppersafe. Silly me. Moving a plant here, adding one there, repositioning an ornament... on and on. Now I have a nice, itchy :sad rash all the way up my arm (the tank is a tall model). So don't do that!

FishKeeper-16

1977 Mustang Cobra
Sep 28, 2004
Wheelersburg Ohio, USA
They seem very healthy but I heard that the maricyn 2 will cause cloudiness but the fish started having white stringy poop since I started treatment but they also eat quite well. Also something weird happended I took in a water sample to my lfs and it was soo alkaline that it was off scale but when I got home it says my water was neutral so I dont know whats going on but The fish dont seem stressed but my ammonia and nitrates/nitrites are okay. I use quick dip pH test strips. :confused:

Last edited:

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
The most probable reason for the tank being cloudy is that it is going through a bacteria bloom.

Maracyn two (minocycline) like any antibiotic will eventually kill off some of the tanks bacteria bed. Especially if it has never been used before.

Basically what's happening is the bacteria replenishing itself to get back to the levels it needs to run your tank properly. Eventually the bacteria will become immune to this med and the cloudiness will not be an issue anymore. Grant it that this may not be a good thing. This would mean that you are having some serious problems and have placed enough of the med to make the bacteria bed immune.

Since this is happening I would monitor both the Ammonia and nitrite levels and make sure that they don't go up or even spike on you. That would end up opening a whole new can of worms.

As for the copppersafe. I am of the belief that copper should never at any times be used in a tank. It may work but the potential long term side effects can be more of a hassle than good.
Copper is extremely hard to get out of a tank once introduced. By having copper in the tank chances of the parasites that may be in your tank becoming immune to copper greatly increases. This would mean that the next time copper is needed the suggested doseage may not work. Which means having to use more than recommended. Copper is very toxic to fish. That means having to increase the dosage could do more harm than good.

There are so many other products out there that do the same job as copper without the risks.

mikeabildgaard

Registered Member
Apr 3, 2021
I am using coppersafe but no maracyn 2 and my tank is cloudy as well...Basically what's happening is the bacteria replenishing itself to get back to the levels it needs to run your tank properly. Eventually the bacteria will become immune to this med and the cloudiness will not be an issue anymore.

mikeabildgaard

Registered Member
Apr 3, 2021
The most probable reason for the tank being cloudy is that it is going through a bacteria bloom.

Maracyn two (minocycline) like any antibiotic will eventually kill off some of the tanks bacteria bed. Especially if it has never been used before.

Basically what's happening is the bacteria replenishing itself to get back to the levels it needs to run your tank properly. Eventually the bacteria will become immune to this med and the cloudiness will not be an issue anymore. Grant it that this may not be a good thing. This would mean that you are having some serious problems and have placed enough of the med to make the bacteria bed immune.

Since this is happening I would monitor both the Ammonia and nitrite levels and make sure that they don't go up or even spike on you. That would end up opening a whole new can of worms.

As for the copppersafe. I am of the belief that copper should never at any times be used in a tank. It may work but the potential long term side effects can be more of a hassle than good.
Copper is extremely hard to get out of a tank once introduced. By having copper in the tank chances of the parasites that may be in your tank becoming immune to copper greatly increases. This would mean that the next time copper is needed the suggested doseage may not work. Which means having to use more than recommended. Copper is very toxic to fish. That means having to increase the dosage could do more harm than good.

There are so many other products out there that do the same job as copper without the risks.
Ok like what other products are there? And with my tank will not need coppersafe again because I WILL NOT make the same mistake i did this time ever again. Nice copy and paste job, I just pasted the same thing

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Hello, mikeabildgaard. Welcome to AC!

This is an old thread, from 2005. The most current threads will be the topmost under a particular forum heading.

Welcome again!

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store