Marbled crayfish (self cloning) Eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

N8L

AC Members
Nov 2, 2012
Oh yeah i also give them TetraMin tropical tablets. They have protein in them. I've tried algae wafers but they don't eat them they just leave it on the bottom of the tank then algae ends up taking over the tank.. I bought some java moss when I first got my marbled crays and they ate it all up within a week.. I probably should have done my research.. oh well. I think I'm going to end up buying some more crays and see if i just have 2 that are defective and don't know what to do with their eggs after they're berried up. Maybe there's some kind of genetic problem with this species to where after so many generations some of them have lost the instinct to care for their eggs properly because I've talked to quite a few people that have these guys and some say that they've encountered some kind of problem with them berrying up. Mine just like caviar i guess..

rod stumpf

Registered Member
Jan 16, 2015
williamston, mi
Real Name
rod
I have 5 sc that are young [several months old] that I noticed a month ago who had berries and their tails curled. now their tails are straight. do the berries drop off and eventually hatch, do they eat them or come up as duds if their too young?

Sugarmcbride359

Registered Member
Jul 27, 2020
We started out with 1 full grown Marbled Crayfish and she produced hundreds of eggs. They were everywhere at 1st and over time they weeded each other out. We had 8 half grown ones from that set and still to this day have 5 left. They keep reproducing and eating each others babies. We are working working towards getting them a bigger tank to speed out more since we have seen the lack of space cause this cannibal like behavior. The mamas never eat their own babies, it's always the other ones. It's crazy but it's like they take turns having babies only one at a time will carry eggs. We have 4 different sizes of babies in the tank now. They are all thriving. Sooooo to answer your questions as to what to feed them, we have had tremendous success with "Frozen Spiral Zucchini" and we switch it up with frozen peas, blood worms and occasionally other green veggies. The key is to only put in enough for them to eat. Wait 8-10 hours after all the food has been consumed and then feed them again. We have had these girls for over 2 yrs now and we have found that the zucchini is the best to help them grown and shed their shells. If anyone has any other questions, please feel free to ask. Mu husband has become quite the Aquatic expert. Happy to help :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store