Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Marimo Moss Ball Floating

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by chunkswrestles, Mar 26, 2010.

1. chunkswrestles

chunkswrestles AC Members

Jan 25, 2013
    i purhcased a moss ball today and it is floating instead of sinking. i cant figure out why it is doing this and so i would like to find out. how can i get to sink if i can.
    thanks.

2. Kerry121774

Kerry121774 AC Members

Mar 2, 2012
    I just added two more to my tank the other day and they floated for about a day and then sank! I think mine were floating because they were relatively dry from shipping but once they were saturated they dropped!

3. NegativeLogic

NegativeLogic AC Members

Oct 9, 2011
    Try giving it a gentle squeeze to get the air out of the central pocket.

4. chunkswrestles

chunkswrestles AC Members

Jan 25, 2013
    thanks negativelogic the squeezing worked. is there a way to divided the ball to get two balls

5. Kashta

Kashta Always Niko's fault.....

Susan
    Aug 16, 2014
    Susan
    You can divide them that way, but they grow so slowly it would take a very long time for the pieces to become spherical again.

6. timwag2001

timwag2001 AC Members

Mar 5, 2017
    you should give them periodic gentle squeezes to get all of the crap out of them,

7. Ianne

Ianne I lieks feesh

Aug 13, 2011
    to get "more" balls you can just rip it in half
    i saw some in the store for the first time but the tank was empty :(

8. H2Ogal

H2Ogal Betta Be Good to Me

Deborah
    May 2, 2014
    Deborah
    I read an article about marimo balls from Lake Akan, Japan — supposedly, the origin of the "true" marimo? — that stated "This algae is free floating, and displays unique behaviors in response to habitat changes. They will float or sink in the water in response to columns of light, and will actually roll around on the bottom of the lake (aquarium)."

9. josephpnorris

josephpnorris Registered Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Marimo balls will float due to O2 adhering to the surface of the ball. It's actually a good sign that your aquarium is healthy. I've deal with the floating balls by attaching them to fine polyester thread (preferred over nylon) that magicians use in their acts. Achor with a Stainless Steel nut (1/2" is fine) and it must be 316 stainless to minimize leaching in the water. When initially purchased, your balls might not float so make sure they are in floating condition by leaving them in the aquarium (photosynthesizing) before attachment. The effect is quite "other worldly" with green balls suspended in the aquarium. See photos.

IMG_1475.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG

IMG_1493.JPG

IMG_1497.JPG

IMG_1498.JPG

10. dougall

dougall ...

Today at 6:03 AM
    ugh, old thread, but the moss balls will fill with air and that will cause them to float.

always remember to take your balls out of the tank, give them a squeeze and roll them between your hands a while on a regular basis.