Marina breeder box.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I picked up this little 'air driven' breeder box online the other day. I got to thinking about the air driven HOB filters I remember seeing as a kid and these things looked similar. I figured for ~$10 shipped, i'll see how it works and use it as intended if it doesn't move enough water to be effectively used as a filter.

It's a pretty neat little thing. Well made, well packed and is a very clear plastic. It fits over the rim on my Tetra/Marineland 55g, but barely. It doesn't quite seat down fully. Because of the skinny lift-tube, it only moves a trickle of water, but amazingly, will fill/prime itself provided it's got bubbles and enough water level in the aquarium. You could probably fill it with bio media if you wanted, but I think I'm going to throw in some java fern and some of the straggler red cherry shrimp from my other tanks.

[/URL

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Neat. I'd like to see it with moss and shrimps. I like the physical separation but utilizing the large water volume.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'd have to look at the specs, but I think it holds about a quart or more of water. The pickup tube sticks into the tank about 6-8". It comes with a throttling valve if your air pump is too powerful. It needs a tiny air pump to work right.

Astarell

AC Members
Jan 28, 2011
West Coast
Real Name
Sara
fishorama- it comes in three sizes, 0.5 gallons which has vertical dividers, 0.3 gallons, and 0.2 gallons. That one looks like the 0.3 gallon one.

Joel- I've got both the 0.5 gallons and the 0.3 gallons and I love it. You'll want to put a sponge over the intake tube in the main tank though, it does suck up gunk which will then just settle to the bottom of the box and stay there.

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store