Maroon Clown and Anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
i have 2 bk/wt clowns that host a rbta and they are totally obsessed with it. they rarely ever leave it other than to eat. but the relationship they have with the nem is probably the neatest thing about my reef. i love to watch them snuggle in the nem and suck on it tentacles. they are so cute and crazy about it! it's an amazing relationship. i know my nem was a clone as well so it was not taken from the wild. the clowns are really not aggressive to any of my other fish but they HATE my midas blenny because he picked his home to be a hole in the LR too close to their precious nem. overall the only downfall to my nem is that i do have to be careful about placement of my other corals and hope the nem doesn't go for a walk (which thankfully mine is not a mover!). as far as your maroon goes, they are traditionally quite aggressive clowns with or without a nem so im not sure if getting a nem would really make them that much more aggressive or not! i think they'd be just as aggressive if they were hosting a spot on the LR or the powerhead, or another coral...
I used to say that alot!!!!:grinyes:

witmerboarder

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
NE Indiana
Thanks to everyone for sharing. I am still debating about getting one or not. I am going to the LFS after work today to pick up my new Half black angel (yes i have a plan to introduce into tank with Ebli) and will discuss the anemone more. My Maroon is not overly aggressive in defending her rock the only fish she really gets after is the flame hawk but that is usually during feeding time. So maybe I will get lucky and she would react similarly .

As far as the corals go I am not sure they would fair well in my lighting. I have two 36" dual tube T5 fixtures with the 10k and colormax bulbs and one 72" dual tube T5 with actinic and colormax bulb. According to LFS that would support the Anemone, Bubble tip or Hatian pink. I have been reading and the pink Tip does not seem to be a good choice for hosting the clown. Any thoughts on this?

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
without knowing the wattage i'd say skip on the anemone with that lighting set up. for best long term heath they really should be under stronger lighting (MH). at first i had my rbta under T5's but it really did seem to be stretching out a bit after a while. you could get a condy but the maroon may not be interested...

witmerboarder

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
NE Indiana
Well I broke down and purchased the Pink Tip anemone. It has pretty much stayed right where i placed it in the tank and the Maroon Clown has pretty much ignored it. But thats ok I just like having it in the tank to add life other than fish and snails. It appears to be doing quite well and ate 3 krill last night. How much should you feed it? I know they use the light to generate nutrition but also need some other sources. About an hour after I feed it the krill is when I took the pictures and it had "stood up and stretched out" like you see below and was still that way this am.

Here are a couple pics.

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
The fish in those pics is actually a Cream Angel (Apolemichthys xanthurus). Definitely not a Half Black Angel.

It is beautiful and one of my all time favorites.

It is good that it is out swimming where you could get a shot of it so maybe it won't by reclusive like most.

Have you seen it eat yet?

Last edited:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
If your lighting isn't good enough for corals then it most definitely will not be good enough for an anemone.

witmerboarder

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
NE Indiana
Schigara - Yes it has been eating since I brought it home. Even eat while in the box. It is not afraid at all stays out when I walk up to the tank, was that way at the LFS too. My Ebli was a hider so I am hoping this will bring him out more, so far it has. I was under the impression Half-Black = Cream Angel? Did search on couple sites and always found half-black.

TKOS - LFS has same anemone in tank with similar lighting at local Dr. office been there for 4 years and research I did online lead me to believe it would be ok. Of course i will watch it closely and if it starts looking bad i will use it as an excuse to upgrade lighting! I have also started to get coralline algae growing on the rocks directly under the 72" fixture toward the back of the tank so I thought that was a good sign.

witmerboarder

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
NE Indiana
I see. I used marine Depot as one of my searches but it did not have Cream Angel listed. Just did google search and found it on saltwaterfish.com.

witmerboarder

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
NE Indiana
Well it has been about a week and the Anemone is doing great. he has moved around a bit but eats small pieces of krill every couple of days. Scared me the first time I saw him taking a poo, but did some reading on here and found that deflating is normal.

And once again you guys/gals were correct my Maroon clown has totally ignored the Anemone and continues to hide in and feed her rock. But i still enjoy the Anemone he is fun to watch.

My Cream angle has become buddies with the Ebli Angle and they both spend allot of time swimming around the tank together. they even eat from my fingers when I hold flakes in the tank. Ebli hardly even came out of the rocks before.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store