Mass Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ken_Allen

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
I've had a massive amount of algae start growing on the top of my rocks and sand. It's brownish on the sand, and dark brown on the rocks. I have two hermit crabs but they don't clean it enough. What should I get for a cheap/effective fix?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
This is the marine forum...they are probably sw hermit crabs.

What are your nitrate levels? What kind of turnover do you have in your tank, what are you using for filtration? Are you using a skimmer?

Ken_Allen

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
In that case, it sounds like it could be diatoms, which is normal during/after cycling. Any chance of a photo just to clarify?
Sounds like that :) I looked it up. So should I be fine? It looks like the sand actually took color, not like anything is growing on it. The rock changed from a white to a greenish brown.

Ken_Allen

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
I tested nitrates and they're very low, if any. I added a clown in there with 2 chromis because the nitrates were fine. The chromis appear VERY healthy.

I'll need more hermits & snails though to clean the tank, Have to go get some more tomorrow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store