Mattenfilter. Anyone tried these?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The tank Rachel runs is a 150, with a corner Matten that feeds into a canister for flow. So, yes, you can definitely run a 120 with one. Reach out to Stephan at Swiss Tropicals--he's a great guy, and will help you determine what's going to be best for your setup. Not sure where in Canada you are located, but Swiss Tropicals attends a lot of conventions, and Stephan will talk shop with anyone who's interested.

Discus Hans runs all his tanks on a matten filter concept--the filter is in a sump rather than in tank, with a bank of tanks running into a single sump.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
The tank Rachel runs is a 150, with a corner Matten that feeds into a canister for flow. So, yes, you can definitely run a 120 with one. Reach out to Stephan at Swiss Tropicals--he's a great guy, and will help you determine what's going to be best for your setup. Not sure where in Canada you are located, but Swiss Tropicals attends a lot of conventions, and Stephan will talk shop with anyone who's interested.

Discus Hans runs all his tanks on a matten filter concept--the filter is in a sump rather than in tank, with a bank of tanks running into a single sump.
That sounds very interesting actually, they also sell little cube media pieces to put into existing filters that I assume would be extremely effective. That Poret stuff seems to be amazing.

Only problem is if I go with a corner piece I'll have to empty my tank out and attach the glass with silicone, but the mattenfilter can be just placed in. I have nice mature water right now It would be a shame to have to cycle all over again lol

I'm located in Calgary, we do have a local aquarium club but I have yet to attend events as I don't drive right now. I will soon though

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The water isn't the 'mature' part, really. There is very little that's free swimming in the tank. The beneficial organisms all attach themselves to things--like the glass, the rocks, the filter media. the only things that accumulate in the water are things you don't really want, like nitrates, hormones, proteins. etc. That's why you can do 100% water changes without 'recycling' the tank.

Reactions: fishorama

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Rafini, if you don't want to tear the tank down to install the glass strips, you can fabricate a holder out of 4 acrylic pieces and bond them together using acrylic cement. Think of a triangle with 2 lips that would hold the foam in place.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store