Max Filter Flow Rate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Getting back to the original question, max filter flow rate is kind of a meaningless spec. I believe the filter manufacturers base this number on the filter running without media. Regardless, you know you have too much flowrate in the tank when things are getting too stirred up, or the fish can't behave normally in that type of flow.

Keeping proper water parameters is more important than filter flow, filter type, etc.

In regards to the livebearer talk, even if you keep fish that will eat the fry, some will still make. The population will do nothing but increase.

Drewbacca

AC Members
Mar 20, 2019
Thanks for the flow input. That’s the conclusion I’d come to on my own research as well.

As for the fry, I have a backup to drop them off at the LFS (they’ll even pay me for them). I just wanted something in place to keep it at a reasonable pace so I’m not going all the time and trying to net really small and fast fish.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Keep in mind, depending on your setup, fry, or any fish for that matter that you want to net out, is going to mess your plants and decor up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store