max h2o change?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cmar

AC Members
May 18, 2007
what's the safest % of water change can i do w/o disrupting/ destroying my aq. environment?

cmar

AC Members
May 18, 2007
just tryin' to get 'trates lower. can't seem to get below 20. i've done as much as a 20% change, but didn't think i should go much more. also, i forgot to ask...how soon between changes? say a couple of 10 to 15% changes?
thanks!
oh yeah, my basket star is in my avatar....so far, so good!

tamableanimal

AC Members
Aug 26, 2007
Caro, Michigan
I would suggest as Grins does 10 % water changes to lower your levels. But that is just a bandaid on the problem. You need to figure out where the excess nutrients are coming from.(i.e. over feeding, loss of animals in tank, to low of a clean up crew) Just some of the most common causes but not a total list. How old is your tank, if less than a year then just do water changes and reduce feeding slightly. If tank is matured than look into the other possibities for high nutrients in the tank. I hope that this helps.
Rich

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
As well as it is hard to get a tank below 20 if you are not doing anything for nutrient export. my nitrates have finally fallen to 0 with the chaeto and mangrove trees in my sump. I haven't had a reading over 2.5 in months.

cmar

AC Members
May 18, 2007
i have two clumps of cheato, don't feed much, tank is approx. 7 mos. old. probably not enough clean up crew; 2 red leg hermits, one blue leg, 4 large turbos, 1 coral banded shrimp, 1 conk. since the 'trates get up to @ 20 b/4 changes, then lower to @ 10 or so, i just thought if i could get them real low to begin with, maybe they'd only go to 10 or so between changes. how soon between changes is safe?
thanks for all the help & responses!

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Well, as far as time between changes you could do it daily if you wanted to. I've also done a larger than 50% water change with out any problem you just have to make sure that your paramas are the same. The trates have to be comming from somewhere are you running a cannister with media, have crushed coral etc.?

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Many MANY articles on reefkeeping and such talk about doing drastic water changes on occasion. I think I've heard of 75% before in cases of emergency.

As long as the water you're putting in is the same water your tank is used to, matched in ph temp etc...you'll be fine.

I wouldn't do it every week, if for no other reason than cost of salt and time of running your ro/di, but I don't think you're going to hurt your biology, as most of that is in the sand, on the rock, etc...

Here's a good read for ya:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php#4

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store