mbuna + plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mr.cichlid

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
does anyone keep plants in mbuna tank? if yes, pls let me know how did u accomplish it.

i bought a small co2 reactor and installed it in my tank...had been trying plants from the very first day but no success. I am thinking maybe one of the reason (other than mbuna) could be silica sand substrate...so recently bought a bag of plant substrate...haven't added it to the tank yet...

i am thinking maybe if the tank has lot of plant growth to satisfy mbuna grazing somehow we can atleast have some green in a mbuna tank...

any ideas???

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
It doesn't really work out. I'm sorry you put all that work into it already, but most mbuna rip the plants out of the substrate, not just munch on them. This is partly to do with the fact that they dig almost non-stop/

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
The only thing that may work for you would be Anubias Nana type where you could wedge the rhizome in a rock crevice or wedge it between two rocks..

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I agree with what's been said...the really nice "planted" mbuna tanks are not nearly as planted as what you're aiming for because as Aj said mbuna don't just munch. Not only that but the plants that most often survive (anubias, java fern, java moss, vals to name a few) aren't high maintenance either.

Which plants have you tried so far? What's your CO2 setup? What is the lighting like? The sand shouldn't be an issue so I'd return the other substrate since it wont be needed. As Pitt said you'd have the most success adding plants that can be wedged in between rocks where the fish can't get to them. Anubias are probably going to be the toughest and best suited to withstand the cichlid attack. The CO2 will always help provided everything else is in check (lights, nutrients) but to be honest isn't necessary for the plants you should try.

You can certainly experiment with some greenery in the tank but dont expect a jungle.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
IME, it is not easy to have plants with mbuna. I started my mbuna tank with a few Anubias nana and Java ferns attached to driftwood with fishing line; it did not work. These plants have hard leaves with bad taste; but anyways the mbuna teared them off in small pieces and spit them out to the water. So, I gave up and added some natural looking plastic Vals in the tank.

mr.cichlid

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
i have tried anubias and java fern plants...no luck...
CO2 is added using reactor (rated only for 20g, i have 120g)...just wanted to try something...
for lighting...i am running compact flouroscent lighting...2x64w daylighting...sometimes i add in 2x64w actinics cycle in there...
i will keep the plant gravel substrate and add it to a side of the tank...thinking it might be cool to have both kind of substrate (not mixed) but separate...

recently, bought the dried seaweed from asian store...it looked like roasted but the label said dried seaweed...this weed turned almost red (maybe maroon) in color when added in the tank...but all fish liked it a looooooooooot....they didn't like another dried seaweed that's green and thick....

back to the topic...i will try another set of anubias and java fern after i add in the plant gravel...

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
If Anubias and Java ferns didn't work then i would say artificial plants would be the next best bet..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store