mbuna + plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bayst

AC Members
Dec 31, 2009
Hmmm... this was a dream I had too. It was a disaster. I hate plastic plants, but anything that is remotely green and alive was shredded. They even tore up a big moss ball!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Look on line there is some pretty decent fake plants that look really life like but you will have to pay a little more for them..

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
In my experience mbuna and plants don't really mix. I have tried java fern and it survived, but looks incredibly raggedy. However I have had luck with Haps(Livingstonii) and Java Moss and Java Fern.

I think mbunas and plants is not too different from trying to keep guppies with Piranhas.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
If you really want to have live plants, you might be able to build a plexiglass "cage" and build them in that. I think 24"x12" plexiglass is pretty standard. You could silicone a couple of them together and section off a corner of the tank for a plant area. If that works you might get fancier and cut a sheet in 1/2 and that could give you 12"x6" sections in the rear corners of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store