Micro Pellets VS Micro Wafers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
I’ve been feeding my baby Electric Blue Jack Dempseys the Hikari Micro Wafers but I couldn’t get more so I got some of the Hikari Micro Pellets. They LOVE them but the pellets are a dark rusty red color. I noticed that my youngest looks a little pinkish. Was wondering if she just looks that way because the food is in her stomach? Could the food have stained the water a little?

E6F8E8A3-682A-4474-B978-342193CEFC86.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
She just looks young to me but maybe less blue than before? But read the ingredients on the foods. Variety is the spice of both fish & people's lives. Mix it up with some other brand of pellets/wafers/flake & bloodworms etc. I like Omega 1 super color foods but I'm not sure that's the best to bring out the blues.

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
She looks different depending on the light. The food has also turned the water in her tank a little. This morning her whole body is beginning to turn blue. She’s got a lot of growing to do but she’s VERY active so I’ve been giving her more small meals throughout the day. It can take me an hour to try to get a clear photo of her.

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
I have bloodworms for my axolotls but my mom said they were bad for the electric blues. Is she wrong? I read the ingredients of the micro pellets and everything looked good except that it does have some artificial coloring. I looked up the Omega 1 food but they don’t have the micro size pellets.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, is this your "baby" girl? Your "other" bigger female looked very blue in your other thread pic. I "think" electric blue coloring is more genetic than some colors that may need dietary inhancements to look their best. If that's right, she just needs to grow to look her best. A nice variety of foods may help her grow into her full potential. Look for foods that the first 3 ingredients are fish, seafood, & algae or veg. Fish meal is ok too; but not wheat, corn, rice or soy type foods. Those last 1s are fillers, not anything they'd see in the wild. Blood worms & shrimp of appropiate size, etc. are treats for a couple times a week, not a sole diet.

Keep a variety of food & offer them on a rotating basis. You don't want to encourage fussy feeding. That can cause problems if suddenly you run out of a "favorite" & can't replace it soon. Fish should always be a little hungry & eat what is available. Young fish might get fed twice/day; adults should be good with 1 feeding. Adjust amounts as needed; more food = more poo = more water changes. To grow young fish faster you need to up your game on those & stick to it.

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
Ok so the Male is Gus, small girl is Lolita, and the tiny girl is Eleanor. She’s the one that was looking a little pink but she’s also getting more blue each day.

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
Yesterday morning Lolita’s head was bright blue but her body looked paler than usual but later she was fine. Maybe she was just hungry? I added some water conditioner to the big tank this morning. It says it helps with stress & healing.

Thanks for the info! I just found out that my mom got the male from a different place than the girls so he COULD be a hybrid. His head looks different from the rest of his body. I remember when he was little he didn’t have as much markings as the girls have.

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
Oh, is this your "baby" girl? Your "other" bigger female looked very blue in your other thread pic. I "think" electric blue coloring is more genetic than some colors that may need dietary inhancements to look their best. If that's right, she just needs to grow to look her best. A nice variety of foods may help her grow into her full potential. Look for foods that the first 3 ingredients are fish, seafood, & algae or veg. Fish meal is ok too; but not wheat, corn, rice or soy type foods. Those last 1s are fillers, not anything they'd see in the wild. Blood worms & shrimp of appropiate size, etc. are treats for a couple times a week, not a sole diet.

Keep a variety of food & offer them on a rotating basis. You don't want to encourage fussy feeding. That can cause problems if suddenly you run out of a "favorite" & can't replace it soon. Fish should always be a little hungry & eat what is available. Young fish might get fed twice/day; adults should be good with 1 feeding. Adjust amounts as needed; more food = more poo = more water changes. To grow young fish faster you need to up your game on those & stick to it.
Yeah Eleanor gets frustrated every time a scoop out the poop though she will push it all into a tidy pile to make it easier for me. Instead of a big meal they really like getting snack size meals throughout the day. I set up a schedule on my phone. Can they eat freeze dried mealworms? We have a ton that we used for our ducks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store