Midas question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stunning1

Registered Member
Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
I have a 6 inch midas in a 65 gallon tank with a huge hump.I also have another 5 inch midas right next to that tank in a 55 gallon. The 5 inch midas is in plain sight of the one with the hump.
My question is do you think the 5 inch midas is causing the 6 inch midas to have a hump so prominent.They follow each other up and down the sides of their tanks like they want to get at each other.I want the 6 inch to keep his hump,but I need to move the 5 inch and his 55 gal tank.
Do you think the hump will shrink or go away with the 5 inch being moved out of sight????????
I have heard that in order for a midas to really have a nice hump that he needed one of his own kind to be in view so that he could display his dominance with his hump.Is this true or false??????????????
Thanks in advance for all replies

Swordfish

aka Max Power!
Nov 9, 2001
London, Ontario, Canada
Well my midas currently has the largest hump i've ever seen.

Check it out: http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1365738

He is currently in a 75 gallon with a female. His hump shrinks significantly when she is removed for a couple days. Although even without her his hump seems to have a schedule, as if different seasons spark its growth. But i would definitely attribute his hump's size fluctuations to the presence of the female midas.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
SWORDFISH _> d@mn thats the largest hump ive ever seen too, thats thing is crazy im suprised hes still alive. it looks like a tumor its so big.

TTman

AC Members
May 20, 2001
OMG!!! daz almost grotesque. congrats.

Originally posted by Swordfish
Well my midas currently has the largest hump i've ever seen.

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
In some places, the people would consider that attractive. But that just seems abnormal to me. Wild fish's nuchal humps never reach such sizes. I wonder what causes the abnormal growth in captivity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store