Mildly controversial topic, prestressing fish for shipping

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Great thread, thanks for the info!

I have to say as it is a matter of personal preference as to stress the fish or not before shipping, and yes i'm aware of the evidence for it, it is a matter of opinion and personal preference. I can see both sides of the argument. Because someone stresses the corys doesn't make them a bad or abusive person and because some one disagrees with the practice doesn't make them a tree hugging hippy or incorrect.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you don't like something don't do it....

I personally can't stand golf, but that doesn't mean that since one golfer cheated on his wife that all golfers are cheaters. Just like because someone inflicts a minor stress on a fish doesn't make them an animal abuser.

That sounds so much ruder than I intended to sorry.

Thanks for all the great information!

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
Good point. i'll put a disclaimer on it =] thanks!
well, i learned something new. very interesting, indeed. thanks a lot guys... especially jettajockey for bringing this topic up, and rachel for utilizing her contacts for the better good of the community. you guys are awesome.

one thing i would note on. this video is on youtube... and if you watch it there, there's no description. knowing how cruel and/or idiotic some folks can be i would think at the very least a description would be in order. although the video is of a practice for the greater good, it certainly doesn't look that way to the unknowing who is left to draw their own conclusion.

basically... as misplaced as it may have been being in this particular thread, jspigs certainly had a point.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I guess what I'm trying to say is if you don't like something don't do it....
Well, many of the people who disagree with/dislike this practice, do not, and have no intention of ever, shipping these particular types of cories. Of course, they are entitled to their opinion - "I would never do that!" - but to say "It's wrong for YOU to do that!" that's a whole 'nother story. And that's where the arguments stem from.

Oh, and of course there's the, "I can't believe all you people think this is right!"...another argument maker ;)

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Well, many of the people who disagree with/dislike this practice, do not, and have no intention of ever, shipping these particular types of cories. Of course, they are entitled to their opinion - "I would never do that!" - but to say "It's wrong for YOU to do that!" that's a whole 'nother story. And that's where the arguments stem from.

Oh, and of course there's the, "I can't believe all you people think this is right!"...another argument maker ;)
I agree completely. thats what I was trying to say lol

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Well, many of the people who disagree with/dislike this practice, do not, and have no intention of ever, shipping these particular types of cories.
You are very right. And from a fish hobbyist-breeders point of view as someone who does ship cories, and who cares immensely that not only the customer ends up with live, healthy fish, but also that the point of -- breeding/raising/selling/shipping healthy fish that buyers can rarely buy in local fish stores -- isn't destroyed by inadequate shipping practices. It would just flush all the efforts down the toilet to have been aware of cory suicide by expelling their toxins and not try to avoid it. Then also, when fish arrive dead, we have to make $$ good on that bad shipment. So why wouldn't we try everything possible to assure their safe, live arrival.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
I feel like the thread title is misleading now.

The "Mildly controversial topic," should be removed. Thanks for all the good info peoples.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Wait, false controversy caused by the ill informed no longer counts as controversey?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store