Mini-aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
I bought carmelcorn this year in a big bottle - looks like a beer bottle. It holds about 2.5 gallons, is 28" tall and about 10" wide at the base. I think it would make an interesting aquarium for a small species - cherry shrimp, etc. I plan on painting the back 40% of it black, to avoid back lighting growing algae. I may also paint the top half of the neck of the bottle and put a light in it. I want to drill a hole in the bottom and put an air tube through the hole (avoid hardware in the tank). I MIGHT also drill another 2 holes to talk out water, filter it, and then send it back in, even put co2 in it. I want the back half of the tank to be heavily planted. There is a kind of "tape" that is wrapped about piping to keep it warm. I have found some that is set to 78 degrees, and will wrap it around the base of the bottle.

i know...it is a lot for such a small tank, but I am hoping to create an elegant setting. I also have never done something like this before, so it will be a couple more skills I can add to my skill set. i have not kept fish in the past 20 years :(

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
It might be easier to put a round bottle under the aquarium, let some water drain into that and purify it there...oxygenate it also...so only 2 holes in the bottle, then pump it back into the bottle.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Is this a glass bottle or plastic?

WYite

Reactions: red devil

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
So, after thinking about it, here's my opinions, based on your ideas.

I wouldn't drill directly into the bottom of the bottle. I'd drill approximately 2" above the height of your substrate for your filter intake. So if you're going to have 1" of gravel, then I'd drill the hole at 3". At the top, realize that you're going to need to keep the level of the water in the bottle at least 1" below the shoulder of the bottle at a point where the surface area is equal to the bottom area, otherwise you won't have enough surface area to promote gas exchange and oxygenation. So I'd drill the hole for the discharge of the filter so that water returns slightly below that level, to encourage turbulence and promote better gas exchange.

The light down the neck of the bottle may sound like a good idea at first, but I'd discourage against it. If you plug the neck up with a light, you very likely will reduce air flow and negatively affect surface area gas exchange. I think I'd look around and fabricate something that fits on top of the bottle, surrounding the neck to match the outer circumference of the bottle (i.e. to the 10" width of the bottle), and then use "cut to fit" LED light tape. This will actually provide you with more options for light colors and you should be able to get something that will promote plant growth. I still use flourescent lights because I'm old and set in my ways, lol, but the options and customizability of LEDs is amazing. I don't know enough about LEDs to recommend which ones to use.

Now, the heat tape. We used to use this at the refinery, and I've seen it for sale at hardware stores. Are you sure that what you plan on using will be okay for this purpose? I'm saying because we used to have to calculate heat exchange in the pipe we used heat tape on to ensure that heat exchange was adequate to prevent damage to the pipe (for PVC) and that the heat exchange wouldn't overheat (or underheat) the process. In this service, I'd be concerned that there A) wouldn't be enough water flow to effectively facilitate heat transfer and that the tape would get hot enough to melt the plastic, or B) at the low volume of this tank the tape would overheat the water even though the tape is set at 78 degrees. In most cases, when specs say something is rated for a certain parameter the specification presumes certain conditions. So in this case, on a 2.5 gallon set-up the water may actually be raised to 86 degrees because of the volume, but in turn the tape would only raise a 180 gallon tank to 70 degrees. It may also require insulation to ensure the target is hit/maintained as well as to protect from thermal burns. I think you need to take a better look at the tape and what it can actually do for you and how it will affect the bottle and plastic. I'm not saying it can't be done, heck, I think it's innovative. I'm just saying to make sure you've done your homework. Make sure that it's doable and then make sure that you have the right material for the job.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the heat tape would require a 20 amp breaker, so check the circuit you'll be plugging it into even if all else checks out.

As for CO2, I honestly think you'd be better off dosing with a liquid carbon supplement than trying to set-up a CO2 gas injection system.

Is the mouth of the bottle wide enough to get your hand down? I'm just trying to picture how you are going to plant the bottle. Regardless, for general maintenance purposes it might not be a bad idea to cut an access hatch out on the angled section between the bottom of the neck and the shoulder. You could use a couple of glue on plastic hinges and a latch. I also think any additional holes that you're going to drill (e.g. for CO2 injection, additional aeration, etc.) would be better off if they were drilled here rather than the bottom of the bottle, as you wouldn't have to be water tight.

The last six years of my career at the refinery were in process safety. My job was to be the ultimate proponent of Murphy's Law: to assume everything that could go wrong would, dissect the proposed modifications to equipment and processes to determine what could and would go wrong, and then offer some suggestions to ensure that didn't happen. Kinda feel like I'm back on the job, lol.

WYite

Apr 2, 2002
New York
If I understand the shape, this means the neck opening is fairly narrow, maybe a an inche or two diamer max? If this is the case, I see one major problem with this concept. How can you do any kind of work in this container? How can you plant it, catch any fish or shrimp you might need to or prune the plants if you can get them into the substrate? How about getting any wood or rock into it?

Am I wrong about what the shape "beer bottle" implies?

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
If I understand the shape, this means the neck opening is fairly narrow, maybe a an inche or two diamer max? If this is the case, I see one major problem with this concept. How can you do any kind of work in this container? How can you plant it, catch any fish or shrimp you might need to or prune the plants if you can get them into the substrate? How about getting any wood or rock into it?

Am I wrong about what the shape "beer bottle" implies?
My understanding as well. Maintenance or even plant the tank to begin with. I suggest maybe a "maintenance" hatch cut out from the top.

WYite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store