Missing Blenny

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
Well today I went to my lfs and bought a black sailfin blenny, and threadfin goby, and a pistol shrimp. All of the fish looked great right when I put them into me tank. I left the tank for a couple hours and came back to discover the blenny missing. I have a semi open top on my tank and my theory is that it jumped. I searched my room for the fish but it was nowhere. I do have two cats, and they are both exceptionally happy right now. My only theory is that it jumped and then got eaten by one of my cats and now I am left with no proof or evidence of where it is.

My tank is 20 gallons and all I have is a colony of zoos, and open brain, and some kenya trees. I also have the threadfin goby and the piston shrimp. I dont think that any of these things really matters and would explain the blennies dissapearence. Does anyone think that a cat would eat the fish if it found it on the floor, or is it somehow hiding in my 20 gallon tank even though im pretty sure that I can see just about all the hiding places in my tank.

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
Well I just walked upstairs to take one last glance and see if it was there and it was just perched on top of a rock like it was there the whole time. I obviously dont know all the hiding places in my tank. I got a little panicky becuase I just spent 80 bucks on all those fish and losing one in 2 hours realllly pissed me off. Well now im kinda embarassed but at least my fish is alright.

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
Yea I know. I stared into my tank for at least a half hour staring into little crevices looking for a fin or something. Thats the first time I couldnt find a hiding fish in my tank. But other then that its doing pretty good. It hasnt started eating flake food yet, but it took my lawnmower blenny around a week before it started eating it so I have a feeling its going to have most of the same habits as it did.

My goby is also doing awesome with my pistol shrimp. Before I put them both into the tank, I dropped them into the same bucket while I was acclimating them and they both instantly hung out by eachother. Then in about 10 minutes the shrimp began making its cave and the goby shot over by it. Now they both have a pretty good sized cave and the goby goes halfway across my tank to get a flake of food. It isnt a shy fish. Another thing that I think is pretty remarkable is that the pistol shrimp was already with a different goby at the store. It was the only one left and I told the lady to look for a different one becuase I didnt want to seperate them but unfortunately it was the only shrimp left. This didnt stop the shrimp from instantly living with the other goby however.

ragc

AC Members
Dec 4, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Lost critters

Twice now I have lost my pencil urchin for a day! The thing must be 2 1/2" of stiff spikes, and my tank is only 10 gallons. It's amazing how well it can pack itself into a rock crevice! My damsel also dissapears in it's cave every night. It's a crevice in my largest boulder and it goes up into the rock at an angle I cannot see...a true cavern. I worry that he will be in there when the urchin comes home.

Dsc00111150pix.jpg

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
I havent really appreciated that my fish might have a better idea of whats in my tank than i do, but im sure they know the best hiding spots and all that stuff way better then I do. :laugh:

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
Hey DD, good to see you. Yes I am still into the hobby just as much as I was before. Just dont post on the boards that much anymore. My dads in the hospital and im busy with school and other things so I mainly just lurk the boards. I put up some pics of my tank named(creatively) 20g pics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store