Mixing bolivian and german rams?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dewilde2

Illinifish
Aug 8, 2006
St Louis
I have a 46gallon planted tank with 5 otos, 6 panda cories and (1) 2 year old bolivian ram cichlid.

He's really big, and when his buddy died a few months ago I looked around to find another one, but they all seemed so much smaller, I didn't think it would work out.

I'm now finished planting the tank and looking to add some fish. I am thinking about a school of 8 neon tetras and a couple of dwarf gouramis. My hubby is really in love with german blue rams, and wants to add a pair to the tank.

Is this a bad idea with the existing bolivian ram? Especially due to the size difference (he's at least 3 inches, and most of the german blues at the store are juvi and small).?

Thanks for your thoughts!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i had a large bolivian ram once, and added a blue german a month or so later. there were also other fish in the tank, most juveniles. it worked well for me. you could try and see if it would work, but keep the qt tank the new fish are coming from up and running when you transfer them to the new tank, just in case any aggression gets outta hand. you do have to let the fish establish a pecking order, but if it seems injuries are imminent, remove them back to qt.

the addition of 2 german blue rams, 2 dwarf gourami, and neons added to your current stock seems a lil overstocked to me, but i tend to understock and overfilter.

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
lol I just made the exact same thread a few hours ago

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
I have seen both German blues and Bolivians kept successfully as pairs in a 55 gallon tank. I would only suggest a pair of each though, so you have more than enough room for territory.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store