Mixing Different Cory Catfish Varieties

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OBlitzO

AC Members
Sep 12, 2012
Up-state New York
Should difference in variety of Corydoras affect how they accept / interact with each other ???

In one of my tanks I have three cory cats. 2 Julii corys and one albino cory. The 2 Juliis are best buds they play together and love each others company. However the albino cory doesn't acknowledge them in the slightest, neither do the Juliis with the albino. He is blind as a bat, finds food merely from scent. Is that why they are indifferent towards each other ?

I want to add more corys in my set up (13 gallons, planted, with a few danios). I want to get the albino cory a friend whom it will acknowledge. So should I get another albino cory and hope they notice each other or get a different variety and hope the Juliis like that new type. Its funny to say but I am just trying to give them a more fulfilling life. The albino seems lonely :( I will probably get 2 more but what type ?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Corys like their own kind, but will do fine with other corys.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I find that most will shaol just fine. Aenues cats seem to be the odd fish out. My Paleatus, Pandas and Juili do just fine. The Aenues just kind of do their own thing. I have up to 15 in one tank and the Aenues always act the same.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
O have pandas and strebii in the same tank, 3 of each, and they do fine together. Infact they play with my clown loaches every morning too.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
They can tell they're not the same species & would prefer several of their own kind. They may play together or not. It's not like dog breeds, they really are different, they only share a genus. Your tank is pretty small to have a social group of 5 or 6 of each species, in nature they shoal in groups of hundreds sometimes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store