Mixing tetra glow fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bpayne

Registered Member
Feb 1, 2020
Hello,

I have one tank with 3 tetra glow fish about 2-3 years old. In another tank I have another 3 that i have had for about 2 months. I want to move the younger 3 to my main tank, but concerned the older 3 might pick on the them. Thoughts?

Thanks in advanced

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If they're all the same species (not color) they should be ok. You might want to rearrange the tank a bit so the older fish don't see the smaller as interlopers. A little nipping is normal for most tetras but watch for 1 getting picked too much. Can you sex them? Females are usually fatter, more rounded.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

Bpayne

Registered Member
Feb 1, 2020
If they're all the same species (not color) they should be ok. You might want to rearrange the tank a bit so the older fish don't see the smaller as interlopers. A little nipping is normal for most tetras but watch for 1 getting picked too much. Can you sex them? Females are usually fatter, more rounded.
Ok cool, they are the same species. The 3 adults, my guess has always been 2 female and 1 male.

Kimunaffected

AC Members
Apr 8, 2020
Real Name
Kim
We keep a small young shoal of these fish . Because I don’t have them in a tank for a bigger group. It is just them and a mystery snail & they all figure out their pecking order. I did have one larger one with them. And the large one was the only one that big and literally hid behind the filter unless the lights were out. I decided to give him to a friend with more room and a group of black skirts. From what I read these fish like to be in as big as a group as possible without being overstocked of course. But in my case removing the large one worked best for us.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Rearrange the whole tank.

They will still probably bicker for a couple days but its usually harmless and settles down as they figure out their place in the shoal.

Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store