Mold smell from adding filter floss in basement

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

entropy

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
OK, i think I messed up. I set up a new tank and did not really wash the rock enough. The water was cloud so I decided to polish it with some old filter floss I had in the basement which is kind of musty. There were no visible signs of mold. Now I have that same basement smell in my tank. Not sure what to do here to get rid of the smell, I can change the filter floss but I think I introduced mold spores already. I am not a mold expert, but I know it is hard to kill. I am hoping it will not live in the aquarium saturated, but have no clue. Does anyone know? Thankfully I only smell it when I open the lid top.

I assume I could use a UV filter of some sort, maybe that would help but I don't want to drop more money into my set up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Hmm mold? Try and disinfect the whole tank and clean the equipment all over again. Be sure to read up on the cycle too if you don't have any knowledge of it; it's very important, believe me.

entropy

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
I was hoping that would be my last resort. I have like 10 fish already so I wont have a home for them if I do that. Unfortunately I think that is my best bet to use some dilluted bleach an rinse in a decholrinator.

ghinksmon

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
Northern NJ
If it is a small tank, you may as well tear it down rinse and repeat. If it's a larger tank I would let it continue to cycle a few more days. Mold spores are virtually everywhere, when they land in a suitable enviroment they grow. If you introduced a large amount then the natural cycle will allow things to balance out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store