Molly lost its color

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Javelin

AC Members
Oct 19, 2001
Falls Church, VA
www.GUIcheese.com
I have a fully grown molly that is the offspring of a black lyretail male and gold normal female. Up until about 2 weeks ago, it was all black with a gold speckled face. Then 2 spots, one on its dorsal fin and one on its tail, turned clear. It about 1 week's time, those spots grew and now all of its fins are transparent/clear and 3/4's of its body is white. It now has a gold face, a small band of black, and everything else is white. It is still acting completely normal (probably one of my most active fish) and eating fine. It doesn't look like it is spreading any more. Any idea what happened?

It's definitely not ich and looking closely, it still has all of its scales and they look healthy... just white.

Sensei_the_dojo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
All I can guess is that although your fish is "fully grown", perhaps it wasn't fully mature and that it has just now achieved it's true identity. Perhaps this is akin to the "female" swordtail "turning male" stories. Some say that it's due to hormone levels in the tank. Others say that these fish are just late bloomers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store