Monster Energy Drinks vs. Monster Fish Keepers...spread the word!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
i think an ac emblem would be a cool idea, but thats for another thread

Tolak

AC Members
Aug 18, 2007
Chicago, Il
Hey all, some of you might recognize me as the admin of another tropical fish forum. After a discussion with the mod team on TFF we've decided to get a topic up concerning this, http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/402644-monster-fishkeepers-vs-monster-energy-drink/

There's some links to your site's topics, as well as the FB site set up for this. Personally this abuse of the legal system absolutely disgusts me, money buying a legal decision which is approved by the legal system. Hits too close to home, throwing the support of another forum behind this is very much the right thing to do.

MaiaDee

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Payson, AZ
Real Name
Maia
Tolak, you rock! Thanks so much for bringing even more attention to this matter. I followed your link and love what you posted. With enough people saying "enough!", maybe they'll listen.

plantedtank12

Sign the Petition!!
May 6, 2011
York SC
Real Name
Nathan
Thanks Tolak for supporting us. Glad to know the whole hobby is starting to get involved.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The support is much appreciated!!!

Uaru

AC Members
Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Ali
Hey guys, I joined this forum to help support. I've been wanting to join; I always find myself here when googling, but when I saw this thing about Monster I just had to join immediately and sign the petition. What a low thing for such a big company to do. Good thing I never drank a monster energy drink and now I never will!

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
OK, what is wrong with these people? MFK has been here since before anyone ever heard of Monster drinks. Furthermore, Monster.com, the job search site, has been around since far before the monster drink people even came to exist, much less try to register their "rights". Where the heck do these people come from who think that simply creating a new company creates the right to usurp the rights of prior users of a name? Monster dot com (monster.com), the job search site, is arguably the owner of any trade mark associated with the name of "monster". Even then, how do old movies with the name including the word monster fair when viewed on the internet? What about all of those old flicks by Lon Chaney and similar actors? Are they to be ignored because this Johnny-come-lately web site is trying to sue all old users of the name? The heck with them. Their claim is simply wrong. A name that includes the word monster or a web site that uses the M in monster to try to identify themselves as being related to that name has no value as far as copy write rights. Monster is a word in the common english language. There are tons of sites that have the word included in their name, I have cited just a few here. If the M in monster is upheld as a trade mark, there are only 26 individual possible single letter trade marks in the entire english language. That is preposterous. There are far more than 26 companies with trade marks that include a single letter and Monster (the drink folks) have no claim to any single letter as their trade mark. Even using the examples that I have given, there are at least 2 other companies, MFK and Monster.com, that have a prior claim to that single letter trademark from times before Monster drinks as a business existed. I am by no means the person who has properly researched the use of the "M" as a trademark. There may be dozens of other examples. These guys need to give up and use their limited capacity to sue folks that try to intervene in their real business, stimulative drinks that have no other value. Maybe there is a company that is not the Monster drink sellers that uses the word Monster in their identification. It is just barely possible that they could succeed in suing someone who uses that word in respect of drink sellers, but MFK or even Monster.com are not good targets for them. Find another suiit target Monster drink people.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Here's some interesting, relevant news. Apparently Monster Energy is being sued by the Beastie Boys for copyright infringement. Unlike the threats made towards MFK which are based on no more than an arguable loose similarity, Monster has commited actual copyright infringement by using actual Beastie Boys intellectual property in their advertising without their consent.

http://consumerist.com/2012/08/copyright-infringement-universe-collapses-in-on-itself-as-beastie-boys-sue-monster-energy-drink.html

Monster Energy. Living up to the name "Monster" more each day...

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Monster Beverage Corp., MNST -8.32% a U.S. maker of energy drinks, disclosed Thursday that it received a subpoena from an unnamed state attorney general in July as part of an investigation into its flagship product.

The probe involves the "advertising, marketing, promotion, ingredients, usage and sale" of the Monster Energy drink brand, the Corona, Calif.-based company reported in a regulatory filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

"As the investigation is in an early stage, it is unknown what, if any, action the state attorney general may take against the Company, the relief which may be sought in the event of any such proceeding or whether such proceeding could have a material adverse effect on the Company's business, financial condition or results of operations," Monster added in its Form 10-Q quarterly report.

A company spokeswoman declined to comment beyond the filing, which didn't disclose the name of the state attorney general.
You can read the full article here http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443537404577579890685637370.html

Can you say Karma?

fineexampl

noob
Feb 21, 2009
Mount Laurel, NJ
Here's some interesting, relevant news. Apparently Monster Energy is being sued by the Beastie Boys for copyright infringement. Unlike the threats made towards MFK which are based on no more than an arguable loose similarity, Monster has commited actual copyright infringement by using actual Beastie Boys intellectual property in their advertising without their consent.

http://consumerist.com/2012/08/copyright-infringement-universe-collapses-in-on-itself-as-beastie-boys-sue-monster-energy-drink.html

Monster Energy. Living up to the name "Monster" more each day...
I was just coming here to post a similar article.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/aug/10/beastie-boys-adam-yauch-will-advertising?fb=optOut

"Earlier this week, the band's surviving members opened a lawsuit against Monster energy drink, accusing them (of using) their music without permission."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store