More baby Bangais!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Following requests and rather than gate crash micynyorkies thread I thought I'd start another about my baby Bangai. My Cardinal was holding eggs about 7 weeks ago so I thought I'd read up on micynyorkies thread and get some advice. I caught my cardinal in a net (after a long chase around the tank, through the rocks, over the corals - you get the picture:wall: ) and transferred him to a hatchery where he promptly spat all the eggs out. I transferred the cardinal back to the main tank and put the hatchery, with the eggs in it into my sump. After a few days I noticed that they'd all gone and there was no sign of any babies. Lesson learned - next time I'll let nature take it course:dive2:

Now this where I get confused. I was told that a male bangai Cardinal has a longer dorsal fin than the female and it is the male that holds the eggs in his mouth. That's fine, that's what has been happening with mine.

However......

2 weeks ago I noticed that the FEMALE had a very "stretched" jaw and that she was holding some eggs. So this time I thought I'd leave them alone and let them get on with it.

2 days ago I noticed that her mouth was empty:cry:

Today I found this

new tank 215.jpg

What I love about this tough little guy is that I found him in my sump:eek: whether he is from the batch of eggs that I put in there weeks ago or from this recent lot and he's travelled down the overflow, I don't know. What I do know is that's he's been in there with three pumps and not got sucked into any:headbang2:

Now I've got to quickly learn about raising brine shrimp!!!!!

new tank 215.jpg

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Can't see any more. At the moment he's getting red plankton and cyclopeeze and whatever else is in the sump with him. Needless to say, being used to my cardinals swallowing all the eggs (on at least 10 occasions) I wasn't prepared for babies!!!!!

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
That is great! Hope to see more pictures as the little one grows.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
He's most likely from the earlier batch of eggs. I'm saying that because of his size vs. anything I know for sure though. Congrats, on the baby and I hope that you find more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store