mouth fungus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andrew.ars

AC Members
Jan 4, 2007
i have a new cichlid tank and a young less than 2 in cichlid has mouth fungus. Is this contagous or not should i treat the whole tank or remove the fish and put it in a seprate tank to treat it any ideas

any ideas what to treat with, favorite products, recomendations

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Mouth Fungus is so called because it looks like a fungus attack of the mouth. It is actually caused from the bacterium Chondrococcus columnaris. It shows up first as a gray or white line around the lips and later as short tufts sprouting from the mouth like fungus. The toxins produced and the inability to eat will be fatal unless treated at an early stage.
I have always had good luck treating this with generic Erythromycin. EM is the main ingredient in Maracyn made by Mardel. it is contagious to the best of my knowledge and the whole tank should be treated. Please follow the label directions for treating.

When using antibiotics in a tank it is possible to kill off some or most of the bio. This needs to be monitored by testing for ammonia during the treatment especially in a tank with no live plants to help with biofiltration.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
EM is one of the antibiotics that don't affect the bio's much..but best to watch the water for spikes.

it is a good broad spectrum med

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store