Moving fish over the holidays

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishie boy

AC Members
Nov 5, 2019
Hiya,
I’m going home over Christmas for four weeks. I was originally planning on only going for two weeks so I could come back and deal with the fish tank, but now im wondering if I could take the fish with me instead. It is a eight hour drive home so im not sure how I should transport the fish or if it would be best to leave them here? Would the fish be too stressed for such a long journey and short stay?
I have one dwarf gourami and two peppered Cory Catfish. I also have a bamboo shrimp and a Pinocchio shrimp. They’re in a 50L at the moment but the tank at home is 25L.
Thank you for any help.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Do you have a fish savvy friend that could come over & tend your fish even once or twice a week while you're gone? Moving fish in a short term way is very hard & stressful..for you & your fish. I've also hired a "pet sitter" but many don't know fish care & need a lot of instructions...in writing & a phone #...it's not ideal.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You don't say where you are . Which hemisphere or season it will be

An 8 hour drive in winter can turn into a couple of days if weather turns bad.

The time should not be a problem . Really happens all the time if you do it well there should be no problem.

But there's a reason things like fish shows happen in the warmer not colder months .

I would maybe look for a fish store that might be able to handle them; but if you need to drive, check the weather, and be prepared for time to potentially double or more.. just in case .

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Provided you've got adult fish, I'd be sure to instruct your fish sitter to feed them lightly (show them!) and only have them check on the tank and feed maybe 3x per week.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I used to put premeasured food in small containers or baggies or at least 1 so they can see how large a "pinch" is or number of tablets, pellets etc. Emphasize less is best, when in doubt feed less!

Enjoy your vacation, your fish will be fine...but ready for a water change when you get home!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store