Moving to a new home, help please...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hsiddall

AC Members
Jun 13, 2007
Wha tis the best process for moving an established tank. Setup is a 75g with a huge sump under the stand. I have 6 different Malawi cichlids and a 8" pleco( he will find a new home soon as well). Any help or advice on how to move these guys would be great. Please help. I can possibly break it all down and bottle the water in the Hinckley and Schmidt bottles then set up at my moms house, and then do it again in new home when ready???Maybe???:help:

TheFanatic

AC Members
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
Check this thread: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138062

Basically save as much of the water as you can before you move. Go buy a bunch of plastic 5 gallon gas cans. Easy to carry, easy to transport and easy to pour.

Syphon off as much of the water from the top of the tank. You don't want to take it from the bottom and have all that detritus and debris go along with you as well.

Put the fish in a couple of coolers filled with tank water. You may want to duck tape down the lids before you put them in the car.

Take out all the ornamental rocks, wood, plants, etc. Now syphon out the rest of the water from the gravel and give it a good cleaning. If you are strong enough and have enough help just carry the tank over with the gravel in it. Get to the new location, set it up and start pouring the water back in. Hold back the coolers with the fish for a bit. Add more treated water to get it close to the top where you think the water from the coolers will fill the tank. Add back all the ornaments. Get the filter going. The thing is going to look like a cess pool Let it clear and settle a bit and then throw in the fish and the water from the coolers.

You may have to churn up the water in the coolers with your hand to re-oxygenate the water until the tank is up and running. Oh, and prepare for a ginormous mess...GL...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store