My 1st new Marine Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kelmen

Marine Newbie
Dec 17, 2004
Malaysia
Greeting, I'm going to setup my 1st marine tank (I'm new to aquarium too). After some R&D, I worked up below items:

1) Main tank (glass) : 48" X 18" X 18"
2) Tank sand (2 light stand)
3) Sump Tank
4) Protein Skimmer
5) Water Pump (return water)
6) 2 X Water Pump (water current)
7) 2 X 10,000K Metal Halide light
8) ? X Timer
9) Thermometer
10) Hydrometer
11) Test kids : pH, KH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Calcium, Strontium, Iodine, Phosphate

Other stock
1) 3 type sea sand
2) Live rock

I intend to stock believe marine organisms, are the above sufficient for them:
1) Clownfish
2) Seahorse
3) Shrimp
4) Coraf (Anemone)
5) Some other water greeny plant

I appreciate any input. TQ.

CHIMERA26

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
Seahorses Are Very Difficult To Keep Usually They Are Kept In A Species Tank And By The Very Experianced Keeper So You May Have To Be Careful Adding This

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Overall, looks like a good plan. Seahorses prefer a lot less current than that in most reef tanks, plus the clowns will probably keep them away from the food.

Kelmen

Marine Newbie
Dec 17, 2004
Malaysia
Mmm... then the clownfish + seahorse tank can be tough. Especially I'm new too. Will look into this more.

I need some more input about:

1) Are the water pump to maker water current need to on all time?
I read a post, its being setup as scheduled and active intervally.

2) I'm in Malaysia (near Singapore). Its a hot and humid country. So heater probably is not required, as the LFS salesman never mentioned about them.
They do mentioned about chiller.
As I'm going to setup a sump too, can I just buy a chiller which capacity is targeted at the sump size, instead of the main tank size?
Its costly. And worrisome more, it seems almost all are made-in-China :mad:

3) I intend to setup my seadbed with 3 type sands(not exactly 3 layers). The bottom layer is bigger size (maybe crushed coral). Then another 2 type fine-grain sand (smaller), each will occupy 1 side (left and right). So its actually 2 layers, with the upper layer consist of 2 separate sand side and side.
The purpose is to have different seabed maybe can cultivate different zone.
Is this workable? Or should I put fine-grain sand at bottom layer, with bigger size at upper?

4) About the light. As from some reading from net, most recommend about min 10,000 K light. Does it mean the total or each light?
My spec 2 X 10,000K = 20,000K ?
Can I just use 2 X 5,000K = 10,000K ?

5) I intend to have some greenery (plant, eg seaweed) in my main tank, so far I can't find any info with such setup. Can someone provide some input or links? TQ.

6) Since its a salt-water tank, do my tank stand need to been salt/corrosive resistance ? Is normal wood (not solid wood) good enough?

TQ.

HkySk8r187

AC Members
Oct 18, 2004
1) Yes it needs to be on all the time. There should always be water current in your tank.

2) You will need a chiller that says it can support the tank size, not the sump size since it is chilling water that is filling the entire aquarium, not just the sump.

6) The salt will not evaporate, only the water so any type of wood should be ok assuming it's coated and made for an aquarium.

Kelmen

Marine Newbie
Dec 17, 2004
Malaysia
Look like I have to invest into the chiller. Anyway, that can be later, as coral should only be introduce few months later.

How 1 to buy a proper powerhead (for my 60 - 65 G tank)? I noticed that's # tag to them.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Aim for turning over the tank volume 10-20 times per hour. Most powerheads provide the number or gallons/litres per hour they pump, so you just need to add 2-3 of the right size.

Kelmen

Marine Newbie
Dec 17, 2004
Malaysia
Refined Spec

Few more visits to LFS and discussion with some experienced hobbyist, I refined my hardware list:

1) Main tank (glass) : 48" L X 18" W X 18 - 24" H
2) Sump + Regium (macro-algae + live rock)
3) Protein Skimmer - Macro (taiwan brand)
4) 2 or 3 Pump
5) 2 X 54W T5 (10,000K, Actinic)

for:
1) Clownfish
2) Blue Tang
3) Cleaner staff (shrimp, crab, ...)
4) Some other water greeny plant

Is my tank suitable for tang fish? If do, can I attempt to bring a pairing tang? How to tell its gender?

What kind of light do I need to setup for my regium?
Will a 2" sand bed good in it too? Or a min 4" DSB?

I having problem getting fine grain sand, as I intend to setup a 4" DSB.
Can I get fine grain sand from other sources apart from LFS? If do, any specific info to ensure?

In future (addition)
1) 2 X 54W T5 (10,000K)
2) Chiller

for: soft and/or LPS coral (clownfish home)

Will my future additional good enough for LPS coral?

Kelmen

Marine Newbie
Dec 17, 2004
Malaysia
Is this spec good enough?

I intend to setup a reef tank eventually. But will getup as fish tank 1st.

My intended stocks are clownfish, tang, some cleaner invertebrate (shrimps, crabs, etc) and some soft + LPS coral (no SPS). The corals are mean for clownfish home and minor deco.

I already got preliminary quotation from a supplier. Wonder you can help "review" it?

1)
Main tank: Glass, 48 " length x 18 " width x 24 " height"(thickness 8 mm)

Sump: Glass, 36 " length x 15 " width x 18 " glass (thickness 6 mm) - will setup a refugium here. No other filter.

I intend to setup DSB 6" on both tanks.

2)
2 sets of 4 feet T5 High Output Aquaz retrofits 54 watts with 1 pc Actinic tube, 2 pcs 20,000K tubes and 1 pc 6,500K tube

- I reply asking 2 actinic and 2 10,000K, as I prefer white light.
and 2 timers to control the actinic and white light.

3)
Pumps - 1 pc high output Rio HF20 5,000 l/hr return pump 50 watts
1 pc Super flow Seio 820 3,200 l/hr circulation pump 15 watts

4)
Skimmer - 1 pc Universe protein skimmer with Rio 3,500 l/hr pump

- the skimmer is local made, needle-wheel (claimed)

5) Live rocks - 80 kgs

6) Fine grade '0' broken coral 8 bags (per 10 kg bag)

- I'm asking to get more finer grain, mud type (like real sand)

7) Marine salt - 10 kgs Instant Ocean - 70kg

8) Water additives and bacterias,hydrometer,temp gauge,titanium earth

9) 2 pcs cooling fans

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store