My 40 Gallon Breeder(47 gallons) stocking, is it okay?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gourami Guy 113

Registered Member
Mar 2, 2021
I have been in the hobby for about 7 to 8 years. I did not take it as seriously as I do now because I was younger. I started with a 10, then a 28, and now have upgraded to a 40 breeder. I'm going to post the stocking here
7 Cardinal Tetras ( got them to school with the neons)
2 neons ( very old and my original fish from the 28)
2 zebra loaches ( I'm planning on adding more for a proper school)
2 hillstream loaches
2 neon blue stiphodon gobies
1 Bristlenose Pleco (Male)
6 Black neon tetras
8 rummy nose tetras
3 Honey Gouramis
2 Pearl Gouramis
1 Sunset Thick lipped gourami
2 mollies
5 cory catfish
6 glass catfish (not bottom feeders but actually feed on the top)
1 Bolivian ram cichlid

I'm running a Fluval Aquaclear 110 and an aqua clear 70. Turns the tank over about 17 to 20 times
I have over 40 plants in the tank
Using a Fluval Fresh and Plant led with a built in timer

I usually do about 5 gallons a week for water changes

I am planning on adding just a few more fish
1 Moonlight gourami
Some extra cardinal tetras and rummynose tetras prob 2 each
Possibly a school of silver-tipped tetras
3 zebra loaches

I know it is a bit of fish for this tank but I believe the sheer amount of plants, filtration, and constant water changes should make up for them. Everyone is doing well in the tank and there is no aggression and the tank does not seem too crowded.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Welcome to the forum Gourami Guy!

So am I getting this right and the first list of fish what is already in your tank? If that's the case then the only thing I would add is a couple of zebra loaches, and I'd be hesitant due to the heavy stocking you already have. One fish could tip the balance you haave now. Your cardinal and rummynose schools are big enough that I wouldn't add any with the stocking you have. I'd also skip the school of silvertips. I'm going to make an assumption here that moonlight gouramis probably wouldn't do well with the pearls. Pearls are pretty much the exception in the genus Trichogaster in terms of being peaceful. Most of the others don't like similar sized gourami tankmates, unless they're a pair. I would also suggest you raise your water changes to about 50% of the tank volume weekly.

It sounds like you have an active variety of fish in your tank. Enjoy!

WYite

Gourami Guy 113

Registered Member
Mar 2, 2021
Welcome to the forum Gourami Guy!

So am I getting this right and the first list of fish what is already in your tank? If that's the case then the only thing I would add is a couple of zebra loaches, and I'd be hesitant due to the heavy stocking you already have. One fish could tip the balance you haave now. Your cardinal and rummynose schools are big enough that I wouldn't add any with the stocking you have. I'd also skip the school of silvertips. I'm going to make an assumption here that moonlight gouramis probably wouldn't do well with the pearls. Pearls are pretty much the exception in the genus Trichogaster in terms of being peaceful. Most of the others don't like similar sized gourami tankmates, unless they're a pair. I would also suggest you raise your water changes to about 50% of the tank volume weekly.

It sounds like you have an active variety of fish in your tank. Enjoy!

WYite
I have the Moonlight gourami already on hold at my LFS. The only fish I want is the loaches and gourami. I've done a fair amount of research on them, I watch my gouramis very closely to make sure there is no aggression. Im also planning on adding extra biomedia and plants if their is any problems with the tank... As of right now my tank is very healthy Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrate-40. Thank you for the advice :)

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I have the Moonlight gourami already on hold at my LFS. The only fish I want is the loaches and gourami. I've done a fair amount of research on them, I watch my gouramis very closely to make sure there is no aggression. Im also planning on adding extra biomedia and plants if their is any problems with the tank... As of right now my tank is very healthy Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrate-40. Thank you for the advice :)
Your welcome. Hope it all works out. I am going to reiterate the water change advice. The nitrates are defintely too high. Over 20 ppm will cause long term health problems.

WYite

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Your welcome. Hope it all works out. I am going to reiterate the water change advice. The nitrates are defintely too high. Over 20 ppm will cause long term health problems.

WYite
+1
Adding more media will do nothing for nitrates, the only thing that lowers nitrates are water changes. My advice is if you’re set on adding another gourami is to make sure you have a plan if it doesn’t work. I’m all for trying things but whether it’s an arrangement with the LFS or a back up tank, have a plan. Good luck and let us know how it goes

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome! That's a lively setup for sure. You didn't mention what you feed your fish and how often. That will have the biggest effect on water quality over time.

Like said, plants do help and filtration can help keep the water clear to the eye and house lots of beneficial bacteria, but you still have to keep trace elements and nitrates in check by doing regular water changes, which should be way more than 5gal/week with this stock level. I would not do less than 20gal/week. One of the reasons I always suggest setting tanks up so that water changes can be done easily.

Reactions: FishAddict74
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store