my 55 what to do

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
so my 55 gallon in my sig is kinda boring and i was wondering if it would look cool or if it will work to have just one Green terror in there buy him self. or somthing else like semi comunity with fire mouths

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
bump

dave76

Home Zookeeper in Training....
May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
GT is basically stocked for a 55. You can try a couple of FM in there if you want if all the fish are small, but you will need to find a different stocking plan once the fish get bigger.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
but the firemouths will work

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
There is a size discrepancy in adulthood between firemouths and GTs. I would think that it would work, but it depends on the fish. If you go with them, make sure and put plenty of hiding spaces and be prepared to take a fish or two back of necessary. My old GT used to push other fish around but he never really did any damage. FM will put up a fight if the fish is the same size, so I would suggest trying to get a bigger GT and give the FMs places to hide. If this was a 100 you might be able to pull it off for the life of the fish.

HTH

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
i think your getting this mixed up, not a GT and a FM its a GT alone or one FM with some schooling fish

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
i think your getting this mixed up, not a GT and a FM its a GT alone or one FM with some schooling fish

Ahh... a GT is perfect for a 55. You could keep a firemouth in there with some dithers, but since FM's only get to about 6 inches you could keep 3 FMs in the tank with some tough dithers like silver dollars for Giant danios, maybe add something like a synodontus catfish or two if you wanted to go with one FM. It would be more entertaining with more FMs though.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
very true, but if some pair off or something then you could have a lone female or male

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
If you do go for multiple FM's, make sure to add all at once. I made the mistake of adding some more FM's and the one that was established terrorized the newbies.

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
Can a gt live in a 55? Yes. Will he have enough room? Probably not. Unless it's a HER!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store