Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

My aquarist rant

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by wesleydnunder, Jul 31, 2015.

1. wesleydnunder

wesleydnunder Discus Addict
    Staff Member

Mark
    Today at 10:34 AM
    Mark
    Howdy folks. My name is Mark and I'm a moderator here at AC and a lifelong aquarist; 48 years or so. In that time I've learned a lot of what it takes to keep my captives alive and, I hope, content with their lives in my glass boxes. I do not, and never will, profess to know it all. None of us does. Over the course of the next few days, I'm going to list some observations I've made about some facets of our hobby. I expect to upset some folks; the stocking police mostly, and some of the purists. Feel free to make any comments along the way. I may or may not respond.

Mark

2. Tifftastic

Tifftastic "With your powers combined . . ."

Tiff
    Today at 9:19 AM
    Tiff
    I love rants! Following

3. sumthin fishy

sumthin fishy I eat spam

mike
    Jan 25, 2017
    mike
    I saw the title, and was instantly intrigued. The stocking police is a great one. I prefer to be extremely understocked, but have been happily overstocked (as I am now). I would love to see what you have to say on the subject :D

4. dougall

dougall ...

49 minutes ago
  5. Duckie

Duckie AC Members

Jun 3, 2016
    I love to be overstocked by some mysterious formula. Tell you what though, I refuse and won't have a bigger bioload than my filter can handle. I am way too lazy to go the extra mile to jump through hoops to keep up with maintenance of a system that has bigger bioload than filtration capacity.

Jade.Crusader likes this.
  6. wileycoyote

wileycoyote AC Members

Yesterday at 12:50 PM
    You sir have me intrigued. and you will have to try pretty hard to offend me.

7. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh AC Members

Joel
    Today at 1:59 PM
    Joel
    How DARE you... My test strips indicate my water parameters are fine!

Jade.Crusader and Fishfriend1 like this.
  8. Duckie

Duckie AC Members

Jun 3, 2016
    Don't fool anyone. When is the last time you used a testSTRIP. :p

Mr Ironic and FreshyFresh like this.
  9. wesleydnunder

wesleydnunder Discus Addict
    Staff Member

Mark
    Today at 10:34 AM
    Mark
    In the beginning...

I won a goldfish at the Contra Costa county fair when I was 8 years old by throwing a ring, with an amazing amount of skill, around the neck of a coke bottle. With an equal amount of expertise, I went home (after mom had stopped at the five and dime to buy a bowl and some goldfish food) and unceremoniously plopped Mr. Goldfinger into his bowl. I filled the bowl to the top from the kitchen tap and set it on the desk in my bedroom. I was absolutely enthralled. As I sat mesmerized by my new best friend, I noticed the way his mouth moved rhythmically along the bottom and it soon dawned on me (I, at the time, being a very bright boy...or so I was told) that Mr. Goldfinger was hungry. I promptly tore the entire top off of the small cardboard box of goldfish food and, still very bright, dumped about half the box on top of my new best friend. As the cloud arose around him the first of the misgivings insinuated itself into a primitive recess of my brain. It quickly dispelled as my new best friend dove face-first into the 1/2" layer of supper settling to the bottom of his new home.

An hour later, after being called in by mom from playing in the back yard (time to bathe and get ready for bed) I ran straight to my room to look in on my new best friend. He was doing the same thing my puppy did after a large meal; sleeping peacefully on his back.

More to follow...

Mark

10. sumthin fishy

sumthin fishy I eat spam

mike
    Jan 25, 2017
    mike
    Not funny, but I laughed my *** off

Windy likes this.