My Backyard Pond Reborn This Season

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Redfokker

AC Members
Apr 4, 2015
Albany, Oregon
Real Name
Mike Dicianna
My 4000 Gallon, 20x8x4(deep) Koi pond got a major reworking this year. I was having a major leaking problem with the waterfall that I just could not solve. I finally bit the bullet and had a professional pond contractor come and redo the waterfall. Could not be more pleased. Not only could they man-handle giant stones into the design they totally redesigned the waterfall. I'm running a Savio bio falls and a smaller Savio skimmer on the other end of the pond. I learned a lot about what not to do when building a pond, but now I'm good to go. They stripped all of the invasive pond plants out of the bogs (Lizard Tail is evil) and now I have a clean slate. The pond houses 8 koi (mutts), 4 of them are about 16"-20". I'll post some pics of them when the pea green soup clears up when my 36 Watt UV does the job.Koi Pond 11Apr15.jpgKoi Pond Waterfall 11Apr15.jpg

Koi Pond 11Apr15.jpg Koi Pond Waterfall 11Apr15.jpg

Reactions: Sploke

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Man.. That is beautiful Mike.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I like the redone waterfall. Waiting for pics once it is clear.

What do you do with the fish in the winter? You got heaters in the water?

Redfokker

AC Members
Apr 4, 2015
Albany, Oregon
Real Name
Mike Dicianna
They winter over in the pond. I've had a total freeze over during some winters, but only for a week or so. The climate here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon is fairly mild. More rain than anything else...

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
They winter over in the pond. I've had a total freeze over during some winters, but only for a week or so. The climate here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon is fairly mild. More rain than anything else...
Ah good. I remember when I was in Oregon for a year the winter was cold. But that was in Silverton - think that is Marion county? Not as cold as we get here in Ohio. :D Freeze over would probably be fine as long as it doesn't freeze solid.

Redfokker

AC Members
Apr 4, 2015
Albany, Oregon
Real Name
Mike Dicianna
I kept the filtration system running all winter, kept the pipes from freezing and water movement kept a oxygen hole in the ice. It also created a wonderful ice sculpture a couple of years ago. With the new waterfall design, I'll have to rethink this practice.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Few ideas:

- an inline heater that is to heat the water to about 40 degrees before water goes through waterfall (if you can get to the filter plumbing)

- powerhead/wavemaker for surface agitation to prevent buildup of ice on top

- temporary roof in winter, similar to how a car pot prevents excessive heat loss at night by reflecting back radiated heat

- rehome fish to indoor tank (well, not really an option for your koi)

Good luck.

Nicole Martin

AC Members
Sep 22, 2015
Shelton,CT
pondrepair.blogspot.com
Real Name
Nicole Martin
Really great pond rework done, I really appreciate it and also i have to share a good product review about pond leakage problem and my experience with pond leakage solution is Pond Pro 2000 coating. Thanks for sharing

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Any updated pics?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store