My betta has Pop Eye

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Betta Mom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2018
Hello everyone,
This Betta Mom needs help. I recently cured him of Fin Rot, and now my Male Betta has Pop Eye. Both eyes are swollen, the left eye has clouded. I have been treating him with 1 tbls. of Epsom salt for 15 min. baths for 4 days in a gallon of 78 degree spring water/betta-bottled water mixture. He lives in a Aqueon 2.5 BettaBow with filtration and 10 watt heater, 78 degrees stable. The same spring water/betta water mixture. Water parameters normal nitrite and nitrate, 7.0 pH, KH 80, GH between 120-180 hard. I have Java Ferns and 2 Moss balls. He is always happy to see me and is eating like a champ, swims about and likes to rest on his leaf. 2 days ago, I took out 1/2 gal of water, w/the plants and Fishie in a bowl. I hot water washed the gravel and inside the bowl. I always age my new water overnight and heat to the same temp. I put the clean gravel in, the water I saved with the plants in the bowl, filled it to the top with the aged heated water mixture, filter back on and heater. Should I continue with his baths, 20% water changes every other day, and when should I start to medicate? The API Fungus comes in powder packets per 10 gal. tanks. I need help to determine the ratio of powder to 2 gallons of water, as I am including the gravel in my 2.5 gal bowl. I don't want him to lose his eye. Please help. Thank you.

20180116_184804.jpg

20180116_184826.jpg

20180116_192036.jpg

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Popeye is not fungal, it's bacterial. Why did you rinse the gravel? That likely killed off the beneficial bacteria, and the tank is now recycling. Test for ammonia and nitrites. Do water changes to keep them low, and if there's no improvement to the fish, look for a broad spectrum antibiotic, or, preferably, a medicated food since it works better from the inside.

Reactions: Betta Mom

Betta Mom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2018
Popeye is not fungal, it's bacterial. Why did you rinse the gravel? That likely killed off the beneficial bacteria, and the tank is now recycling. Test for ammonia and nitrites. Do water changes to keep them low, and if there's no improvement to the fish, look for a broad spectrum antibiotic, or, preferably, a medicated food since it works better from the inside.
thank you. could you recommend a broad spectrum antibiotic and medicated food please? I have no idea what brand is safe and effective to treat this.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Have you been changing water regularly with setup? If not, I would be doing 50% water changes every other day or so given what is going on.

Are you using test strips or a liquid/dropper test kit? "normal" for nitrite and nitrate would be 0ppm for nitrite and under 20ppm for nitrate for a tank with a proper nitrogen cycle going on.

Betta Mom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2018
Have you been changing water regularly with setup? If not, I would be doing 50% water changes every other day or so given what is going on.

Are you using test strips or a liquid/dropper test kit? "normal" for nitrite and nitrate would be 0ppm for nitrite and under 20ppm for nitrate for a tank with a proper nitrogen cycle going on.
Thank you for your input. Yes, I have been doing 50% water changes every other day. Every day I place an equal ratio of spring water w/betta-water in a 1.5 gal water bowl to age and warm until my next 50% water change. I do not drink nor use the tap water in this 150 year old house. I don't know the water quality parameters, I just shower and wash dishes in it.
I do use the test strips and the nitrite is 0 and same with nitrate. I plan on buying a test kit when I can afford it. I should have done my research about cycling and betta care before I bought him. I have read and done my homework now. I am new with aquarium/fish care and appreciate helpful information. I will update my post on my betta, I am treating him for Pop-eye. For 5 days I treated him with 15 minute Epsom salt baths but his left eye started to cloud. I am using API Fungus Cure, which also treats secondary bacterial infections. I started it today. Before this problem, I had to treat him for fin and body rot, lots of 25% daily water changes and his fins grew back and he started eating again, swimming happily to greet me. I'll be back. Thanks again for your support.

Betta Mom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2018
thank you. could you recommend a broad spectrum antibiotic and medicated food please? I have no idea what brand is safe and effective to treat this.
BTW, Could you recommend a good quality medicated betta food?
thanks in advance.

Betta Mom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2018
Could you please recommend a medicated betta food? Thank you in advance.

Betta Mom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2018
Goodafternoon,
My male betta has improved but not quite healed. The API Fungus Cure removed the cloud over his left eye, but his left eye is still swollen. He is eating, blowing bubbles, swimming and greets me. I feel he still needs a bacterial medication as you suggested. He is on his last dose of this Fungus Cure. Directions say 25% water change, but I want to use the gravel tube to clean and do a 50% water change. Your advice is much appreciated.

20180120_122143.jpg

20180120_122104.jpg

20180120_122007.jpg

20180112_185117.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
He looks a lot better! But certainly not "cured". I would do several water changes & maybe add carbon to the filter to remove all the fungus med before starting another treatment, even medicated flakes. Keep up the good care, you're making progress.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store