My betta won't stop pacing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
I think I will consider a tankmate. He does seem to do this action more during the day when people are around & he gets quite a bit of attention.
However I did notice a tiny hole in his tail fin, no weird growths or anything. Was wondering if this could be contributing to his strange behaviour?

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I've only had mine for a little over 2 weeks, and I already get the sense he wants out. He's in one of those small hexagon tanks. I think it's a 1.66 gallon. Walmart has 5 gallons with a biowheel for only $30 around here. I'm thinking about getting him that. As for the feeding, mine does make me feel like he's starving. I've probably been overfeeding him. I give him breakfast lunch and dinner of 4 hikari beta bio-gold. The package says you can feed 2-3 times daily, but I think it's a marketing ploy to increase product sales.
Heh, I feed Jakers once a day. Four frozen bloodworms, or a small amount of frozen brine shrimp with a dropper, or a VERY small pinch of daphnia, or a couple of dried tubifex worms. Two to three times is a little much :) Four Hikari a day should be fine.

What's up with my betta flaring his gills and bum rushing the tank everytime I try to stare at him? Am I pissing him off?
The flaring and bum rushing is a normal behavior. That's what they do :)

They are treating you like they would any other betta male.

If you get a small mirror and hold it up for them to see themselves, they'll do the same thing. They think there's another male betta there.

He'll calm down after a while. Do you make faces at him? I can get Troy to flare at me if I make faces. Otherwise, he doesn't flare anymore :)
Roan

Last edited:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Ms.Bubbles said:
I think I will consider a tankmate. He does seem to do this action more during the day when people are around & he gets quite a bit of attention.
They love attention :)
However I did notice a tiny hole in his tail fin, no weird growths or anything. Was wondering if this could be contributing to his strange behaviour?
I'd say no. It's possible he snagged it on something. Troy had a small hole in his when we brought him home, but it's gone now.

Keep the water extra clean and free from ammonia and nitrites -- don't overfeed either -- to ward off fungus (if that's what it's the start of) and keep an eye on it. Note if it gets any bigger or if it becomes pale around the edges or looks fuzzy. Watch for other holes as well, or fuzzy and/or pale edges on the fins and tail. Then you have a problem.

But, so long as the water quality is excellent and he's eating well, that hole should heal right up.

Roan

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
For pacing: I had one that did it in a 15g. I think it was stressed with other fish and after a week or 2 watching it's behaviour not change, I moved it. My other thought was that was HIS territory and he was just patrolling.

I am not sure adding a buddy would be as beneficial as adding stuff to swim in- if you were only doing one or the other.

Here is another thing to take the relaxation out of fish keeping: yours probably just tore his tail but mine eats his tail. Just keep an eye on it. It grows back, and with healthy water there shouldn't be too much chance of infection.

Not a part of the original thread, but bettas can go days without food, and skipping a day once a week is advisable. No way feeding 4 pellets 3-4 times a day is good. Just makes him a fatty:)

Last edited:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
FisheyLisa said:
For pacing: I had one that did it in a 15g. I think it was stressed with other fish and after a week or 2 watching it's behaviour not change, I moved it. My other thought was that was HIS territory and he was just patrolling.
Good point. Completely forgot how territorial they are.

I am not sure adding a buddy would be as beneficial as adding stuff to swim in- if you were only doing one or the other.
Also a good point. Heh, I just added a 2" micro bubbler to Jakers' tank to make sure the otos are getting enough oxygen during this ich treatment and he's swimming through the bubbles over and over. He's biting at them, too! :laugh: Typical betta. Just has to check it out and make it into a toy. Heh, reminds me of a lot of men I know :D

Here is another thing to take the relaxation out of fish keeping: yours probably just tore his tail but mine eats his tail.
:eek: Really? Wow!

Roan

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
I think an oto would be a great addition to my 3 gallon/betta setup if it's possible because algae has been a little bit of a problem in my planted tank. However, I am a little nervous about introducing a tankmate, in case my pacing betta starts freaking out.

Rava

Betta Babe
Dec 26, 2002
CA
Ottos get 1.5 to 2 inches full grown, and I'd say that's a little too big for a 3 gallon. I have two little Ottos growing out in my 5 gal. (they'll be moved to my 10 gal. once it's set up), and I can't imagine them having enough room once they're full grown. They do get along well with the betta in there, though. :)

I think the suggestion for more plants/driftwood is the best. Minimizes hassle, and would seem to be the best chance for entertaining him a little. :) Good luck!

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
Don't know how many more plants I can add! It's pretty full as it is, and betta just swims around them right to the front of the tank...

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
Here's a ~7MB movie of my 10g betta tank. He is definitely an active dude.
10 g with Betta

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store