My Cichlids committed suicide!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
50% a week is a lot of water to be changing. It's great to change water every week, but I'd cut down to 25% at a time. You can cause rapid fluctuations in your PH and temp this way, if not killing, then opening your fish to disease. Water conditioner is a must as well. Hopefully you know that chlorine from tap water is lethal, and at 50% water changes, if you treat in the tank instead of in buckets allowed to sit at least 15 minutes, there's a good chance you are poisoning your fish.
I do two 50% wc's on my 55g a week. (tends to actually be a bit more, sometimes closer to 70% each, but I round down for the sake of knowing I do at least that much) Temp matching is important with large volume water changes, no doubt there. I fill 2 storage containers and get each one to within 1 degree fahrenheit of my tank water, and treat with dechlor prior to pumping it into the tank. (usually while I'm filling the bins to mix it in nicely) I'm sure there will be a minor pH change in the tank when doing a 50% change, but nothing that should pose any threat if you've been doing them weekly. Heck, planted tanks have quite a pH change every night after the lights go off. If its been a few months since the last water change, yes, it would be dangerous to your fish to be doing a 50% water change right off the bat, but if its the norm, then you'll be fine.

Derringer

... overstock this!
Apr 8, 2007
Indiana
I do two 50% wc's on my 55g a week. (tends to actually be a bit more, sometimes closer to 70% each
You do 2 50-70% changes a week? Religiously or occasionally?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Heck I have an oscar tank that gets 75% changes twice a week sometimes more. Fry tanks that get all but 100% daily. Tanks that are on continuous fill and drain equiv to 75-100% daily.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Heck I have an oscar tank that gets 75% changes twice a week sometimes more. Fry tanks that get all but 100% daily. Tanks that are on continuous fill and drain equiv to 75-100% daily.
Thats alot of Prime ..........:eek:

Originally Posted by gatotsu77
I do two 50% wc's on my 55g a week. (tends to actually be a bit more, sometimes closer to 70% each

Same here........:)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Luckily...I have a private well...:), and don't need to use it.

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
You do 2 50-70% changes a week? Religiously or occasionally?
Quite religiously. From time to time, the middle of the week change will vary by a day (sometimes I'm just too tired Wednesday night and will do it Thursday night instead) but a typical week would be Wednesday and Sunday night. Keep in mind, I keep discus. I used to 30-50% every other day... but realized that my schedule doesn't always permit that, so I keep to my twice weekly schedule, and its been working out nicely for me. My fish certainly seem happy. :)

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
I agree that the fish you have in the 29 are going to need to be moved to a bigger tank, preferably a 75 or larger. If you have had the loach in that small tank for three years then chances are he is already stunted even though they are very slow growers. Please please listen and re-locate as soon as possible the loach and the plecos. Doing 50% water changes are needed with those fish in that size tank so keep doing that.

Marinemom

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Wish you the best luck, Carl!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store