My current stocking list for 150L, is it okay?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
Canon Eos 450d, GoPro and my phone camera
My 150L is currently still cycling on day 22, it's getting there. I'm planning on making it planted, I'm going to try and make it as heavily planted as I can without CO2 set up at first.
The current hardscape has several caves and I'm planning on adding more so there'll be plenty off places for the fish to hide in.

Currently thinking:

9 desert gobies (2m: 7f)
9 female koi dumbo bettas (siblings from local breeder).
5 otocinclus.
Shrimp (I know, the chances of them surviving are slim with this list but I'll deal with the losses anyway).

Temporarily want to house my clown endlers in it. 1 male, maybe 6 females? Just until the male passes away then I want to sell/give them away them. Or I might keep them as dither fish or something.

I'm not sure because they nipped my male betta when he was in the tank with them and probably stressed him to death so I'm hesitant about keeping them with bettas again, then again it'll be a bigger tank. I've had crappy luck with female endlers, all my adult ones stopped eating and wasted away, the male was the only one left. The only reason why I haven't gotten rid of them (the one male and a bunch of fry) yet is because my boyfriend named the male endler, so I'm not going to get rid of him and I quite like the males anyway.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds like a cool plan. So it's basically a 40 gal tank. What is the footprint?

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
Sounds cool to me, but im that bad i dont know if thatll work out lol
The problems that can occur: the sorority doesn't work out and there's too much aggression. The male gobies might get too aggressive with the other fish that come close to it while in it's den in breeding mode. Though I've asked about it in a group on facebook, and someone said it could work out cause the gobies are bottom dwellers and the bettas are top dwellers. Since the females will be siblings anyway and have been together all their life, it should help reduce aggression.

I have heard the horror stories though but there are successful ones too. Some say it's just a ticking time bomb.

Hence why I'm trying to make it have as many plants as possible to break line of sight and also many caves so that all the fish can hide.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That's a nice footprint. Roughly 36" x 15". Sorry! I always have to convert to yankie units for it to compute for me.

I'd skip the otos until the tank is a year or two old. They do much better with lots of bio films to skim on which won't happen for awhile.

I've kept as many as 6-7 female bettas in my planted 55gal community tank. They will shove each other around, but as long as they have space, plants and decor, you should be fine.

The problem I've always had with bettas in community settings is, they'd always over eat or pick at any foods intended for tank mates with different feeding needs. I won't keep them again unless it's them alone.

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
That's a nice footprint. Roughly 36" x 15". Sorry! I always have to convert to yankie units for it to compute for me.

I'd skip the otos until the tank is a year or two old. They do much better with lots of bio films to skim on which won't happen for awhile.
Ah okay, that's a good point. It was recommended to me that I should get some for this planted tank.
The bettas will still be a couple of months away so when the aquarium's cycled I'll put some plants in , the endlers and gobies. Or should I stock it more lightly? Or do something like add the endlers one week and gobies the next?

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
The problem I've always had with bettas in community settings is, they'd always over eat or pick at any foods intended for tank mates with different feeding needs. I won't keep them again unless it's them alone.
Oh yeah.... I've had that problem when I was keeping my male betta with the endlers. He pigged out on everything, I tried to stop him but he was so smart. The guy I'm getting them from has some in with otos, shrimp and whatnot and put algae wafers in to feed the shrimp. I forgot what he said but apparently he didn't have issues with it.

If I keep it more carnivorous then maybe it will be easier and the girls won't get constipated..

Reactions: FreshyFresh

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
The problems that can occur: the sorority doesn't work out and there's too much aggression. The male gobies might get too aggressive with the other fish that come close to it while in it's den in breeding mode. Though I've asked about it in a group on facebook, and someone said it could work out cause the gobies are bottom dwellers and the bettas are top dwellers. Since the females will be siblings anyway and have been together all their life, it should help reduce aggression.

I have heard the horror stories though but there are successful ones too. Some say it's just a ticking time bomb.

Hence why I'm trying to make it have as many plants as possible to break line of sight and also many caves so that all the fish can hide.
If you have plenty (too much! ;)) of hiding places it may workout but i would put in less gobies.

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
If you have plenty (too much! ;)) of hiding places it may workout but i would put in less gobies.
Maybe 7? I was originally thinking 7, as in two males, five females. They're so damn cute, I want tonnes haha. Look at 'em. If I could show you a video of how they hop around, I would.
DSC_1420.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store